Can I lay new concrete floor over old?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Refurbing/converting old bungalow into large chalet style house

Ripped floor out this week, and found a very poor screed over the concrete raft the bungalow sits on.

Have got loads of ceiling height, so wondered if I can stabalise the existing screed, then lay a dpm (currently none installed),insulation then a new screed with underfloor heating running through the screed. Am I correct in thinking you can just lay a dpm over existing? Also, what thickness of insulation/screed would you recommend?

Really appreciate any advise You can give

Brett

Sponsored Links
If the existing screed is very poor, wouldn't it be better to rip up the old before laying a new screed?

I agree with RH, it would be best to remove existing screed. This will allow you to see the condition of the slab and prevent you from raising the FFL. Personally, i dont like to lay a membrane DPM directly below a screed. There are various paint-on and custom DPM installations out there that might go directly below the screed (eg. Schluter) depending on your pocket.
Always strive to finish your proposed FFL level with the original FFL or you can build in umpteen knock-on difficulties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back