can i line over wet plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im stripping a bedroom, (woodchip, over vinal, with 20 coats of paint in between!) the walls are so old it was only the paper holding them together, so theres plenty of patching in to do where its all come away.

im under a bit of pressure time wise, so my question is can i line over the plaster or do i need to let it dry out completely?

i can afford to leave it overnight with the dehumidifier on but any longer than that is gonna cause problems, do you think i could get away with it?

ps while clearing the room i lifted the carpet and found a SLR 7.62mm live round! the previous tenants musta been a dodgy bunch, im keeping my hopes up to find a stash of cash but no luck yet ;)

thanks in advance for your advice

Sponsored Links
I would let it dry out before you line it. For best results, and to make the job easier,you should also seal the walls with wallpaper size before you go near it with the paper.. It's up to you in the long run though.

Roughcaster.

Agree with ruffcaster there.. If plaster is wet the paste wont be able to dry....and when it eventually dries though the lining instead of thro the plaster the paper will be unstable.

And I agree with him and him...

You might also end up with water marks on the finish coating.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice lads, i patched it in today and im gonna leave it to dry

but dont worry i'll hav plenty more questions for you another time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back