Can I or can't I? Clean out secondary heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Very quick one I hope. I have a heatline vizo 24 boiler. Installed 6 years ago with no problems. Over the past week or so it has has classic signs of a clogged up heat exchanger. The dhw is going hot and cold.
I hoped to solve this myself by draining the boiler, unscrewing the secondary heat exchanger and washing out as appropriate - or indeed replacing if necessary. (Power flush will be undertaken by a qualified person ASAP).

Now it seems that there is not enough space to physically remove the heat exchanger unless the side casing is taken off (as the manual does state). So, in order to remove the side casing, I need to remove the silver front casing.

My question is; is this silver front panel, when removed, opening up the combustion chamber (I can't see behind this panel so not sure if there is an additional chamber)? Therefore a task I need a suitable qualified gas engineer to take care of? Or am I clear to open this up and seal back once finished?

If a suitable gas engineer is the answer then obviously safety first and that is the advice I will take. However, if there is a simple method of removing the heat exchanger safely then I am happy to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jack

Sponsored Links
As far as I recall, the only certain way to remove the plate is to remove the gas valve on that model.

Of course that needs an RGI.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your help - the manual says to remove the side casing. If you were to not wanting to remove the casing then removing the gas valve in front of it would an option (for an Rgi obviously). The question is, can I remove the side casing without upsetting the combustion chamber?

Thanks again for your help.

Jack

From what I remember the front screws into the sides so they cannot be removed by a non RGI.

But I dont think they can be removed sideways either!

Sometimes down the back after disconnecting the hot out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yes that adds up, the sides are sealed and screwed underneath the front panel of chamber. Will get an RGI in to sort.

Tony - thanks for your expert opinion.

Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back