Can I plug a TV in here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son had a new TV for Christmas. Right next to where he wants it there is an airing cupboard with a socket for the Immersion/pump/heating controls.

This circuit has its own 16amp circuit breaker on the RCD side of my consumer unit labelled "Immersion heater"

Is it OK to plug the TV into here as well?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would say yes its ok to spur off the immersion swich for the TV supply but dont fit a normal 13 amp socket. Use a switched fuse spur fitted with a 5 amp fuse that way you avoid anybody coming along and plugging a high current draw appliance into the same circuit as the immersion heater.
The current a small LCD TV will use wont make any huge difference.

Sponsored Links
What if I don't alter the circuit and just use one of those square socket multiplyer things?
Is the immersion/pump/timer plugged in by use of a 13A plug or is it wired in directly?
Don't use one of those multipliers, they have a habit of drooping when extra things are plugged in.
Listen to what the 'sparks' say and heed their advice.

As a 'Non-Spark' I am unable to offer qualified advice but I would suggest you consider Streetlighter and PBoD replies regarding wiring into a switched fuse spur and the necessity of keeping the heater on a dedicated circuit.

The immersion heater should be hard wired by use of a switched fused spur fitted with a 13 amp fuse. Using a plug and socket arrangement for a fixed heating appliance is bad practice due to the high load.

Replace the existing socket with a switched spur for the heater then add an extra fused spur for the TV I know immersion heaters should be on a dedicated circuit but the small load off the TV won't make much difference. Done this arrangement in the past to supply an amplifier in a loft.

The immersion heater should be hard wired and permanently connected via a two pole switched outlet.
It should be on dedicated circuit, I would not recommend you spur of this circuit either, it could well be electrically safe with a small load such as a TV but this will then leave that circuit open to misuse and overload.
Find another option.

I agree, dont use the immersion heater supply for the TV as this will become an 'extra' socket which will eventually be forgotten about and used for anything..

Cant you use another socket in the bedroom and use an dual gang or similar extension?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back