Can I polish out scratches in plastic secondary glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently put in some DIY secondary glazing, essentially big perspex/polycarbonate sheets with a magnetic rim. I've been happy with them but in some decoration work, they got removed and one has got several scratches - I guess it leant on something sharp. Sod's law says they're right in the middle so evening turning it upside down can't make them less visible.

I don't hold out too much hope, but is there any way I can remove or lessen the scratches? I'm nervous to try anything in case I knacker the surrounding area, no idea if plastic can be polished smooth or would just go cloudy.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago when I was an apprentice I got the job of refurbishing a returned batch of dot matrix printers for resale. They had hinged plastic covers which had some scratches on. So, I was given a tin of 'Brasso' and a cloth with which to polish them out. It was hard work and took a fair bit of elbow grease but worked a treat, as long as the scratches were fairly light. Totally invisible afterwards.

Whatever you try, could you test it on a corner that would be out of sight first.

the paste metal polishes, such as Solvol Autosol, are easier and cleaner to use.

there maybe a special polish purpose made for acrylic.

OK, sounds promising. Sadly I don't have an off-cut to try on as I bought them pre-cut. But I can remove the edging and try on the corner as suggested that it doesn't cause damage, before trying to fix things.

Sponsored Links
You can take out light scratches with a bit of heat. A good hair drier might be enough, failing that a paint stripper used very carefully. Just need to keep the heat source moving and not over do it. Definitely would want to practice on a scrap bit first though.

a paint stripper
You do mean a hot air gun?
Would the products sold for cleaning the rear windows of soft top cars and/or defogging plastic headlamp lenses be any good for getting a clear finish?

Polish out very carefully with a sanding block and wet & dry used wet.
Start exactly where the scratch is, working perpendicular to scratch. Then use successively finer grit to polish out the previous marks and finish with a superfine cutting compound.
At each change in grade of abrasive, increase your working area and change direction of polishing by 90 degrees.
I'd start with 1200 grit unless your scratch is deep or you are brave. I've successfully removed deep scratches, but you will inevitably have a patch the slightly distorts your view, as the plastic will be thinner.
Hope that makes sense?

You need to check it is perspex/acrylic or plate polycarbonate. You cannot polish plate polycarbonate without removing the protective UV layer. This would cause them to discolour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back