Secondary Glazing for Noise Reduction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people!

I've moved down to London for a year for a short contract, living in a rather nice old Victorian house in N London. The downside: my room overlooks a busy road, and the single pane windows aren't really any good at cutting down the noise. I've been doing a bit of research, and it would seem that installing some secondary glazing is a reasonably priced way of cutting down the noise, drafts and such like from an old house that I'm in. The Landlord's OKed the plan, so just a matter of ordering the stuff but I wanted to get some advice before I do.

I'm going for perspex/acrylic glazing, probably from Tubeway or Perspex UK, with the magnetic sticky stuff, but the questions are:

1) how thick sheets should I go for? These are quite large windows (bay/sash, 1.70 x 0.97 m on the left panel, 1.70 x 1.20 m in the centre and a door on the right at 2.43 x 0.9 m), so heavy material (3 mm+) might be a bit much for the magnets. I've been told by several people that the air gap and sealing are more important than the actual thickness of perspex, so 2 mm might be good enough, and light enough for the retaining mechanism.

2) To edge or not. I understand edging allows for the use of thicker materials (3 mm+), but these will be heavier, and the panels do need to be removable/stickable with the magnetic strips. That and it's a lot more expensive.

I've found the whole lot for just over £200 w/ 2 mm material and magnetic stripping. There is a ledge for the panels to rest on so that's not an issue, and I can add a block on the sash bar to prevent bowing.

Will this improve the noise situation and the freezing coldness of the house?

Any experience or input with similar things that might be of help?

Cheers

Al

Sponsored Links
Hi Al,

I think it will improve your situation but not to the extent your hoping for.
I know the boys at Tubeway, have a word with them and see what they suggest, they are a straight bunch and should be able to help you out.

Hi Al,

I think it will improve your situation but not to the extent your hoping for.
I know the boys at Tubeway, have a word with them and see what they suggest, they are a straight bunch and should be able to help you out.

Thanks for the reply, mate. TBH, I'll take any improvement I can get on the noise issue. I'm used to people noise from inside the house, can live with that, but the road noise is something else entirely.

Sponsored Links
Noise reduction is very much dependent on the mass (weight) of the glazing. Acrylic is much lighter than glass so will be less effective.

It will however cut heat loss.

Got my 3mm Polycarbonate glazing from Tubeway installed, my god has it made one hell of a difference. Drafts are gone, noise is significantly reduced. Temps will need to wait and see, but all things aside, I'm very impressed.

Sorry for the resurrection bump but are you still satisfied with your easyfix/tubeway secondary glazing. Your last post has given me hope. I want to try this before investing in timber double glazed sash replacements purely for noise reduction.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back