Can I power a shower pump from the electric shower wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removing electric shower, putting in a Stuart Turner 3 bar shower pump instead.

We have power for the shower running into the consumer unit with a 50 amp breaker and 30mA RCD.

Can this be used to power the pump (on a 5 amp spur)? No pull cord but there's a chunky switch in the airing cupboard.

Assuming that the cable is physically able to fit into the terminals (chunky 17mm cable).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you pumping from a hot water tank? Ideally the pump needs to go close to the Hot water cylinder as that pump will easily create cavitation if there is a significant run from the cylinder to the pump. if you are removing the electric shower and provided you step down this via a fuse, I can't see a problem. However, I would personally spur off/extend any existing 32a circuit powering things like central heating pump, electric immersion heaters etc.

Last edited:
Are you pumping from a hot water tank? Ideally the pump needs to go close to the Hot water cylinder as that pump will easily create cavitation if there is a significant run from the cylinder to the tank. if you are removing the electric shower and provided you step down the via a fuse, I can't see a problem. However, I would personally spur off/extend any existing 32a circuit powering things like central heating pump, electric immersion heaters etc.

Hot and cold water. Yes it will go at the base of the hot water tank and will be done properly with the correct flanges, full bore valves etc..

We don't have an electric immersion for some reason, central heating pump is a possibility but will need to check where the wires go.

The power for the shower would be more convenient since we can use smaller cable from the socket and then into a fused spur then into the pump. Would it be better to replace the 50amp breaker with a 32amp and use it?

Removing electric shower, putting in a Stuart Turner 3 bar shower pump instead. We have power for the shower running into the consumer unit with a 50 amp breaker and 30mA RCD. Can this be used to power the pump (on a 5 amp spur)? No pull cord but there's a chunky switch in the airing cupboard. Assuming that the cable is physically able to fit into the terminals (chunky 17mm cable).
I see no reason why not - after all, it's just 'a circuit', which is otherwise no longer going to be used. A 50A breaker and the large cable are obviously very serious 'overkill' for just a pump, but if that is supplied via a 5A FCU, there's no problem with that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The only issue is the possible confusion for someone in the future trying to work out the isolation.

The only issue is the possible confusion for someone in the future trying to work out the isolation.
At least whilst it's all the circuit is doing, at the CU the label can be changed from "Showier" to "Shower Pump" and, of course, actual 'isolation' of the pump will be achievable (more locally to the pump) at the FCU (assuming it's a switched one - and the fuse can also be removed)..

Kind Regards, Join

At least whilst it's all the circuit is doing, at the CU the label can be changed from "Showier" to "Shower Pump" and, of course, actual 'isolation' of the pump will be achievable (more locally to the pump) at the FCU (assuming it's a switched one - and the fuse can also be removed)..

Kind Regards, Join
Certainly does say "Shower". Will also put "Pump", and label the switch in the airing cupboard too.

20230326_191936.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back