Replace Power Shower with Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I plan to replace an existing power shower with a 3bar salamander pump. The existing power shower has the usual pull cord by the door and a socket \ transformer in the airing cupboard behind the shower.

The new shower pump has a standard UK plug. The cable is not long enough to reach the current location of the socket where the transformer is wired into. What is the best method to connect the shower pump? Should I leave the pull cord in place and extend the socket to reach the pump plug or can I simply take the supply from the consumer board (comes up the airing cupboard to loft to pull switch then back into airing cupboard to socket) into a standard plug socket?

Am I allowed to do any of this work as a DIYer or would an electrician have to do this?

Thanks
Warren

Sponsored Links
Sorry Warren.
It's best you call a sparky in as the work is in a 'special location' and needs to go through the proper channels .

Ed

Thanks Ed,

Quite frustrating as I am quite competent when it comes to electrics (well for a DIYer) and it seems quite a simple job. Just dont want to do anything not allowed that might come back and bite me if I want to sell the house.

Was hopeing to do it this weekend and doubt I will get a sparky this close to xmas. Oh well... looks like my power shower will have to wait until the new year now :(

Thanks again
Warren

Is the shower pump still in a special location if its mounted in the airing cupboard and just pipework making its way into the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
The airing cupboard is in the bathroom... so I guess it would be in the so called special area.

If an airing cupboard is in the bathroom then that socket has to go.....

But let's have another reality check - nobody, of course, should be advised to break the law, but if someone did install a shower pump in a special location, competently and safely, and upon moving house 'fessed up, what do you think would happen to them?

And it's nearly always a sellers market for houses - if a buyer wants a house, he isn't going to turn his back on it for the sake of a hundred-odd quids worth of remedial work, even if that is required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back