Adding an RCD to power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom I have one of those 'all-in-one' power showers with the pump built into the shower unit.
the wall it is mounted on backs onto the airing cupboard, and the pwore cable for the shower comes through that wall, and then down to where it is plugged into a standard 'looking' mains socket. (I say standard 'looking' as at this time I am not 100% certain where it is fed from).
Anyway, the CU downstairs is of the older type with the re-wirable ceramic plug in fuxes, and a single large ON/OFF switch for the entire board.

Q1) Is it 'advisable' to add an RCD inline to the shower feed?
Q2) What is the best way of doing this?
Should I get some kind of inline RCD and then put this in the airing cupboard and hardwire it between the shower and whatever circuit the socket is currently on?
Should I instead get one of the plug-in RCD's (like you use with your lawn mower!) and just put this between the existing socket the shower is using, and the plug on the end of it's power cord?

Many thanks for all & any advice :)

Sponsored Links
In my bathroom I have one of those 'all-in-one' power showers with the pump built into the shower unit.
the wall it is mounted on backs onto the airing cupboard, and the pwore cable for the shower comes through that wall, and then down to where it is plugged into a standard 'looking' mains socket. (I say standard 'looking' as at this time I am not 100% certain where it is fed from).
Anyway, the CU downstairs is of the older type with the re-wirable ceramic plug in fuxes, and a single large ON/OFF switch for the entire board.

Q1) Is it 'advisable' to add an RCD inline to the shower feed?
Q2) What is the best way of doing this?
Should I get some kind of inline RCD and then put this in the airing cupboard and hardwire it between the shower and whatever circuit the socket is currently on?
Should I instead get one of the plug-in RCD's (like you use with your lawn mower!) and just put this between the existing socket the shower is using, and the plug on the end of it's power cord?

Many thanks for all & any advice :)

If it is a standard socket then replace it with one of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57865...DP-RCD-Skt;jsessionid=AZQSCZWPJP2JWCSTHZOSFEY

Cheers. I was going to comment that the socket it's plugged into is only a single socket, but I notice teh Signle version of what you posted is actually 7p MORE than the double :rolleyes:
Might as well convert it to a double then and the other half will then have somewhere to plug in the hoover :)

Sponsored Links
It's one of the more important bits to cover with an RCD. I'd go so far as recommending you send the wife in first until it has one.

It's one of the more important bits to cover with an RCD. I'd go so far as recommending you send the wife in first until it has one.

Heh heh, that was my thinking, (about the importance, not the missus! :p), must admit I was surprised to see it had be just wired to a standard 13A plug and socket, (not checked the actual fuse value in the plug as yet).

As I am making it safer, and technically this is taking place outside the bathroom I presume it's not Part P covered? I am a unclear at what point Part P does kick in though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back