Can I pump kitchen sink waste uphill from centre of kitchen?

K

Klaus_K

I am thinking of rearranging my kitchen, to put the sink in a separate unit in the middle of the floor. I'm assuming that I can run the H/C water pipes under the floor to the sink, but I'm not sure what to do with the waste water. This would need to run down from the sink, under the floor and then horizontally for a couple of yards, before rising 1' or so, to meet the existing waste water pipe, which runs behind the floor units along the edge of the wall.

Two questions I guess: 1) As always, is this legal? 2) Can I use something like a macerator to pump the water away from the sink and uphil to the waste pipe?

Finally (sorry ;)) I currently have a waste disposal unit in the sink: will I be able to continue using this in the new configuration?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Put a bucket under the sink? ;)

Saniflo make a macerator for that purpose. However Saniflo do state that any vertical run should be immediately after the unit, if you want to run horizontally then vertically it could cause problems. Not sure about waste disposer either, need to check with Saniflo.

Where does the existing waste go to?

Don't mess around trying to hook up the waste to the existing waste pipe.
Run a new waste pipe with the correct fall straight to the gulley or soil stack.

To TicklyT: unfortunately, the current waste pipe runs along a wall from my existing sink and then passes through an external wall into the soil stack (actually an open drain). Repeating this from a central unit would force me to run a waste pipe above the flooring until it reached the wall, which wouldn't really give me what I want :(

Searching for Saniflo products I came across this document, which seems to describe exactly what I want (a kitchen island). It indicates that the Sanisplit K2 for example can run along horizontally for 8m and then up 3.5m, which is more than enough for my purposes. It's £300, which isn't exactly cheap, but I guess you pay for what you get :)

With regard to the waste disposal unit, I'll contact Saniflo to see what they advise.

Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
To TicklyT: unfortunately, the current waste pipe runs along a wall from my existing sink and then passes through an external wall into the soil stack (actually an open drain). Repeating this from a central unit would force me to run a waste pipe above the flooring until it reached the wall, which wouldn't really give me what I want :(
:confused: A bit confused here - Are you saying that the external gulley is above the internal floor level? :confused:

Are you saying that the external gulley is above the internal floor level?

Yes, but all of the pipework is hidden behind the kitchen units, so the waste pipe effectively runs downhill from the sink until it exits through the wall and then drops into the waste 'drain'.

Waste disposal units are in Satans sink - Hells kitchen ;) Irrespective of what saniflo may say , I wouldn`t fit one unless it was within 1 metre of a soil pipe that had @ least 1 wc above and I would pipe the thing in 50mm waste with access points . Far better to build units in with room for recycling boxes. If you have avoided your drains being blocked with sludge from your existing W.D then you are lucky ;)

If there isn't enough space between the floor level and the gulley grid to drill a new hole through the wall for the waste, then moving the gulley or pumping the waste are the alternatives.

So I'm hoping this continues - sludge does not sound good to me :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back