Can I put 100mm rockwool insulation in a 70mm space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wondering if I can compress this stuff to fit in the gap available. I want to add a floor on top of the old loft floor (cross hatched) using the smaller profile studwork timber (wickes £2.45 stuff) then add some insulation in the void before putting the loft boards over. I cant see it causing a problem but thought id ask.

Also on a side note some of this 100mm insulation has been stored in an open shelter and some bees got into it and made a nest. They have since moved on. If I use that in my loft will it attract wasps/bees to it? I did notice some honey on the insulation. It smells really nice but im not about to eat rockwool :D

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think rockwool works by the air gaps in it being a good insulator. Compressed down would have less air gaps and therefore be less good at insulating. Why not just peel off 30mm of the top layer?

I very much doubt wasps or bees will be attracted to an old nest even if it does smell of honey. Watch out for bears though.

Thanks for the reply Pilsbury.

So I guess it would work but not the best it could be. That doesnt explain why closed cell insulation boards cost more than the open cell polystyrene boards. Their theory seems to be the denser the better.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back