Can I put an oven in front of water pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve got a quick question on my kitchen design.

We are having a tall unit with a double oven in it. I know where I want it to go, but there are currently 3 water pipes that run from floor to ceiling right in the middle of where I want to put it. The pipes are all copper, and quite wide (22mm I think). I can afford to build the oven unit off the wall by a few cm so that the oven does not actually touch the pipes and this is what I plan to do, but I’m still a bit nervous about having water pipes running behind the cooker. I think I’ve got 3 options and I’d appreciate your thoughts on what is best:

1) Stop worrying and put the oven unit in front of the pipes
2) Box the pipes in and then put the oven unit in
3) Re-arrange the entire kitchen to put the oven unit elsewhere (a significant pain which would involve blocking up a window).

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Sponsored Links
I would probably go for option 2 in your position as you obviously have concerns about it. I would be easiest to do it using flat plastic trunking with the lid fixed to the wall & the trough used as a lid, instead of the normal way round. Or you can also get clip on pipe covers that would be another option.

Should be fine nothing achieved by boxing in the pipes , especially with plastic which could melt behind an oven.

Should be fine nothing achieved by boxing in the pipes , especially with plastic which could melt behind an oven.
If it got hot enough behind the cooker to melt plastic I think I would be rather worried about the unit that it was installed in.

Sponsored Links
Oven units have no back and are designed to allow all round air flow and prevent overheating.

I have plastic pipes behind my oven and haven't had any issues, although it is only a single. I made sure to use extra clips so that is one failed the pipe wouldn't drop onto the hot metal back. I'd be more concerned if it was a pyrolytic one as they get very hot.

Thanks all. So it seems I've got nothing to worry about then, and I can just crack on regardless.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back