Can I replace this myself on my oil burner pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Whilst I do indulge in all sorts of DIY, messing with my oil burner is not really something I want to do out of choice.

However, I have a Grant Vortex Boiler, with a Reillo RBL burner (& pump). I've actually got my boiler service paid for to happen in January, pre booked. Unfortunately, over the last few days a sudden and overpowering smell of kerosene has been coming from the boiler and I do mean a strong smell, enough to make you feel dizzy and absolutely stink the place out.

On inspection I find a small pool of kero under the burner and suspected the hose union. So I unbolted and lifted out the burner hoping to just 'nip' it up and problem solved, figuring that my annual service in January could advise is anything needs replacing.

Alas, the leak is coming from the base of the brass stem that holds the solenoid into the top of the oil pump. I assume that there is a rubber O-ring in there which has failed? There is a thumb-tight nut on top which I did tighten a little bit, but to no avail and it still drips.

Unfortunately again, my plumber cant come for at least a week (and isn't willing/able to bring forward my January appointment due to being top busy).

May I ask please:

- I believe that I don't need any safety quals to change that solenoid stem, right? I figure I'll turn the oil tap off at the tank, replace the stem, mop up, and then perhaps bleed if necessary and continuing using the boiler with no gas analysis or further adjustments necessary, would that be true? It touching this would be naughty then I won't do it.

- Does anyone with experience with these things it's likely that replacing the stem&seal will solve this issue? If it's going to need a whole pump replacement then I won't attempt DIY as I don't have the skill or the kit to set up the pump/burner adjustments afterwards

Really grateful for any advice, picture attached :)

Cheers.

Attachments

• PXL_20231126_202121605.jpg
    PXL_20231126_202121605.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back