Can I seal brickwork in the basement? How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve just cleared out an old unused room in the basement that is about 10’ x 10’ and perfect for some storage of dry goods as we’re short of space in the kitchen.

It’s not seen regular use for probably 30+ years and having cleared out the old rotten carpets, I’ve just swept it out and it appears mainly dry all round.

the walls are all solid brick, but having swept them down (dusty job!) I want to try and stop further brick dust coming off them in years to come. Can I seal them with something or is there any reason why I shouldn’t?

thanks as always
Jem

Sponsored Links
Blokky27, good evening.

One cheap way is to use PVA Adhesive watered down and painted on to the walls, the glue effect of the PVA sticks the dust to the bricks

Ken.

Blokky27, good evening.

One cheap way is to use PVA Adhesive watered down and painted on to the walls, the glue effect of the PVA sticks the dust to the bricks

Ken.

Thanks - I was thinking PVA might be an option. What ratio PVA to water?

Sponsored Links
Average ratio is one part PVA to four or five parts of water.

Depends on which brand of PVA you end up using, they are all pretty equal there should be a product sheet available for the brand you are using if not with the container at least on line with advice.

When using the mix on the walls, start at the bottom of the wall and work up??? if you get runs down the wall the water droplets will be traversing over already wet wall and not leave a "run mark" as can happen when a drip runs over a dry area of wall.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back