aging/blending new brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've recently had a new boiler fitted. When the old boiler was removed it left a hole on the outside wall.

I easily matched the Scotch Common bricks as they are quite common.

I'm quite pleased with the end result. However, the bricks and mortar have a chalky/dusty look to them, that makes them stand out a little.

When I wet the area they all look the same, including the mortar. But as soon as it dries the chalkyness comes back.

I was wondering if there is some kinda of 'wash' etc that can be applied?

I'm sure they will age in time to look like the rest but I'm hoping to speed the process along a little?

TIA ... Mick

Sponsored Links
Hello

I easily matched the Scotch Common bricks as they are quite common.

:cool: :LOL:

less dense sand types, i.e. rinsed sand, plastering sand do tend to leave mortar looking particularly stark, or bright.

in our area there is a loamy red sand available that is very dense and produces a soft reddish appearance. only good for bricklaying though.

i would be wary of trying to force a cosmetic change. the safest bet is to allow the mortar to age naturally. using brick cleanse solution can help, but this can etch the mortar, so be careful.

Thanks for the reply. It's only a small area and I spose waiting for it to mature is the obvious solution. But I would like to gee it along a bit :)

Sponsored Links
Soot from a chimney, mixed with water and brushed on is one method than is commonly used, but try a test area first whatever you do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back