brickwork under dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
I've had a 6 inch cement fillet render covering the 2 layers of brickwork between dpc and ground level.
Its a 70 y.o 3 bed semi in common bricks. legacy building strategy apparently!!
Anyway the layer of render pushed away in the freeze thaw over the last 2 years and pulled some of the brick faces away - shaling.
I've knocked off quite a bit more and a lot of the brick faces are okay but some are shaled.
The mortar in this brickwork under dpc has perished to a sort of grainy mud.
The builders i've had to look at it have mixed views - quoting for 2 different jobs:

job 1: replace 2 layers of brickwork in 4 brick sections - with new overlapping dpc (between 4 and 6 inches) - slate pack new brickwork to underside.

job 2: rake out and point existing brickwork to 20mm - max 25 mm. where shaled - replace bricks and slate pack top and bottom.

job 1 would obviously solve all problems - shaled bricks and perished mortar - and i'd be guaranteed a new dpc - but its more expensive, sounds pretty drastic and i still havent figured out how they get a new dpc and slate packing in the same bed without damaging the new dpc?

job 2 is cheaper and easier and shorter - but i'm concerned that 20 mm of mortar will not properly resolve the issue with perished mortar which is perished right through the horizontal bed (although the beds are full at the moment!)

Also with job 2 - if a shaled brick is replaced from underneath what looks to be a very old dpc - wontpulling it out wreck the section of dpc it is attached to? okay slate packing is a natural dpc, but as i understand it it is inconsistent and there will be no way to get an overlap with the existing dpc to the sides of the new brick? even putting in a bricklength of dpc will not get an overlap? so basically i could end up with a breached dpc which is the 1 problem i dont have at the moment.

I'm beginning to think that job 2 is not really a good solution and job 1 is the only way to fix it properly?
Anyone got experience of this job? - it must be quite common - i can see loads of houses with a render of different types over the brickwork under dpc, but most houses and new build just dont have it.
Thanks for any replies
DJordan

Sponsored Links
Constant dampness from the ground, and frost action will always push off surface render and repointing to walls below DPC

So if the brickwork is bad then the only viable remedial work is to replace it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back