Best way to apply brick acid to brickwork and hip tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new extension built on my house and the builders have been a bit careless and some of the brickwork and hip tiles look a mess. There's mortar and white staining on some of the brickwork and the mortar on the hip tiles is a bit messy.

I'm planning on buying some brick acid to try and clean/tidy this up and wanted some advice on applying this. I know you're meant to wet the areas with water first then apply the brick acid (diluted accordingly), leave it 5mins then scrub and rinse off? Is it best to apply with a brush and do you need a special type of brush to do this? Also is it wise to use a wire brush to scrub it?

Really don't want to make it any worse than it is so any advice or tips appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240107_133136.jpg
    20240107_133136.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20240107_131658.jpg
    20240107_131658.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
A friend of mine is an extremely good brick pointer.

When pointing Fletton bricks (they smudge a lot), after he has finished he hoses down the walls and uses a cheap 5 inch brush to apply the brick acid. He leaves it for a while and then hoses the acid off.

Not sure if the dilutes it or not.

Try a few sample areas, neat first and then diluted.

Do not use a wire brush, you will damage the surface of the pointing. He doesn't scrub the bricks.

Wear appropriate red PVC gloves/etc.

Be advised that the brick acid will, very slightly, lighten the pointing.

Lightly damp the wall, not saturate.

Dilute the acid as much as possible. Follow the instructions, it may be as much as 1:10.

Use a soft brush or broom.

Start at the top of the wall. Bush it on, and brush it lightly a little, look for the white fizzing, then wash it off well as quickly as you can. Do not let it dry or remain too long. Hose lightly and brush it as you do to avoid it staining

Once the wall is dry, treat any local spots on the brick with a paint brush. Same principle as above.

I would avoid putting acid on the concrete roof tiles, it will take the coating off, impact the life and potentially promote moss.

I've had a new extension built on my house and the builders have been a bit careless and some of the brickwork and hip tiles look a mess. There's mortar and white staining on some of the brickwork and the mortar on the hip tiles is a bit messy.

I'm planning on buying some brick acid to try and clean/tidy this up and wanted some advice on applying this. I know you're meant to wet the areas with water first then apply the brick acid (diluted accordingly), leave it 5mins then scrub and rinse off? Is it best to apply with a brush and do you need a special type of brush to do this? Also is it wise to use a wire brush to scrub it?

Really don't want to make it any worse than it is so any advice or tips appreciated.
Acid tends to age mortar, especially the nice tight finish. I liken a dose of acid, to a couple of years worth of weathering.

Sponsored Links
A friend of mine is an extremely good brick pointer.

When pointing Fletton bricks (they smudge a lot), after he has finished he hoses down the walls and uses a cheap 5 inch brush to apply the brick acid. He leaves it for a while and then hoses the acid off.

Not sure if the dilutes it or not.

Try a few sample areas, neat first and then diluted.

Do not use a wire brush, you will damage the surface of the pointing. He doesn't scrub the bricks.

Wear appropriate red PVC gloves/etc.

Be advised that the brick acid will, very slightly, lighten the pointing.
Thank you. That's not actually a bad thing re lightning the pointing - some bits have been repointed and the mortar is darker.

Lightly damp the wall, not saturate.

Dilute the acid as much as possible. Follow the instructions, it may be as much as 1:10.

Use a soft brush or broom.

Start at the top of the wall. Bush it on, and brush it lightly a little, look for the white fizzing, then wash it off well as quickly as you can. Do not let it dry or remain too long. Hose lightly and brush it as you do to avoid it staining

Once the wall is dry, treat any local spots on the brick with a paint brush. Same principle as above.

I would avoid putting acid on the concrete roof tiles, it will take the coating off, impact the life and potentially promote moss.
Thank you. Re the roof tiles, would it do the same to the hip tiles? The mortar is really messy in places so I'd like to tidy it up.

20240130_125144.jpg

Acid tends to age mortar, especially the nice tight finish. I liken a dose of acid, to a couple of years worth of weathering.
Thanks. Will need to be extra careful.

I'd let the roof weather. Any acid you use to clean the stains will be affecting the tiles too.

Even if I use a very small amount of brick acid directly applied to the worst bits? It's a bit of a state so I really need to tidy it up.

The thing is the acid will attack the stain and the tile coating and cement in the tile too at the same time. Even if the stain came off, you will then likely have a mark in it's place albeit a different colour.

I would contact the rep from the tile manufacture and get their advice.

Maybe it would be easier to remove and replace the top Ridge tile with a better fit and smaller mortar joint? Or some kind of extra over the top saddle flashing to tidy it up as an alternative. Bit wouldn't worry me tbh

Surely the roof isn’t that bad, or much worse than any other that’s had a wet bedded ridge/hip. Is it really that noticeable from the ground? It’ll be covered in lichen/moss/cr4p soon enough

Surely the roof isn’t that bad, or much worse than any other that’s had a wet bedded ridge/hip. Is it really that noticeable from the ground? It’ll be covered in lichen/moss/cr4p soon enough
Unfortunately it is that bad. Messy mortar on the hip tiles and white stuff all over the roof tiles. It's meant to be a brand new roof!

Fair enough, the pic you posted doesn’t seem to reflect that, apart from the mortar fillet at the top which could be neater. You sure the “white stuff all over the tiles” isn’t just dust from cutting them that’ll brush off?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back