How long to wait before brick acid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately it's very messy so will need a good scrub - I did some last year after about a week and I'm sure it attacked the joints a bit. Also any advice on acid dilution - it's currently 36%.

Sponsored Links
Soak the wall first, helps keep the acid reaction on the surface.
Neutralise later with an alkaline solution.
What have you built with? Engineering bricks?

As long as possible and as weak as possible.

At least a month and perhaps start with 1:10. Wet the wall before and straight away afterwards.

Thanks. It's recycled Accrington's. I did want to do it before I lifted my scaffold planks for the next lift but I suppose I can do it just as easily on the way down.

Sponsored Links
Many years ago I worked on a job building with similar bricks to Accringtons. These type of bricks are really difficult to keep clean.
The method they used was to joint up, then a bit later rub the brickwork with small bits of carpet and then joint up again.
Although it sounds a bit stupid, it took off the thicker bits of mortar stuck to the bricks and left a thin smear over the wall.
Although it looked a mess it made the acid clean up much easier.

Where I am working at the moment, the customer is having weather struck pointing on the existing flettons. I know the pointers, they are great. I asked them why there was so much cement smudge on the bricks. I had only ever seen them working on red rubbers. They explained that they would use a brushed on 25% dilute brick acid mix and then hose it off. At a guess, some of the smudges were up to 3 weeks old.

The bricks look fine now but they did clean the bricks with super evil acid and pressure washing before the pointing- not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Surprised they are get Flettons smudged up, they are usually really easy to lay and repoint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back