Brick Acid on these bricks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...

I've been thinking about cleaning up the bricks on my house.... it's a 1960's place and the bricks are a yellow type. I've had a builder around today for another job and he suggested using Brick Acid... he said the bricks were really good/nice but were soft and so care had to be used (I mentioned about sandblasting which he advised me against).

I've had a look around and seen 36% Hydrochloric Acid being sold for brick work.... this apparently diluted in a 4-1 solution and sprayed onto a wet wall...

The brick work is just dirty really, road grim, smoke etc... the mortare is also quite soft and crumbly in places so I don't rerally want to find myself with a huge repointing job as well.

Any suggestions on using this stuff to get the best results...

As an example I have attached a picture of a small section of the brickwork to be treated...

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
"Brick acid" is for cleaning cement stains, not general purpose brick cleaning.

It works by eating the cement away, so is not something to be used willy-nilly unless you want to be repointing in a few years time

What would you suggest would be the best way to destain these bricks then?

Thanks

Detergent or algae remover/fungicide

But when you start washing bricks, with lots of water, you risk causing efflorescence ... which then looks 10x worse

Sponsored Links
Give it a try with 'qualgex' made by rigby taylor. Its a very good algaecide i use for cleaning paving and mossy/algae ridden walls.

Give it a try with 'qualgex' made by rigby taylor. Its a very good algaecide i use for cleaning paving and mossy/algae ridden walls.

Thanks for the suggestion... I wonder how this would deal with just general ground in dirt and dust though. There isn't any algae growth that I can see on the bricks.

Around the DPC is a small amount of Algae/Moss but on the surface of the bricks they look more "sooty" not all the bricks are like this... some have a more yellow appearance... maybe it is just the way the bricks are... perhaps they were reclaimed or something... I have no idea.

Just tested some 10% Hydrochloric Acid/patio/wall cleaner I remembered I had in the garage... that hasn't done much... apart from make the mortar very soft... think I might just have to put up with it or just render the lot.

Don't render!

If you do you introduce all kinds of maintenance issues.

What is wrong with weathered looking bricks?

Don't render!

If you do you introduce all kinds of maintenance issues.

What is wrong with weathered looking bricks?
Good advice. I prefer mature looking brickwork.
Soda blasting is a better option to sand blasting if you go down that route.
Your ground level is a bit high (only a course to DPC) which can cause a bit of green on your brickwork through rain bounce.

Why do people think that they need to clean the house walls in any case?

There's been a few posts about this, and I can't work it out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back