Can I stain softwood windows to match an oak floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new house is going to have timber windows. On the outside they will be stained grey to go with some slate sills. On the inside I would like them to match the oak floors. I have just been to see one of the local joinery companies in Lerwick and I seem to have a choice of a reddish hardwood or pine. I am not convinced that the hardwood will look OK with the oak floors and I am not sure about its provenance / sustainability either. If I go for softwood, then I think that its natural colour will be too light for the oak floor. Can I stain it so that the colour matches the floor?

Sponsored Links
depends whay you are trying to acheive !!!

the grain on oak is completly differernt to pine so all you will have is oak coloured pine

if they are pre primed gloss is your only real option as stains on primed will look awfull

I'm trying to achieve a colour match to the floor. The windows will be made just down the road so can be delivered unfinished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back