Which stain to look like Oak ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im after the closest match to oak colour for a stain.

I fitted an oak banister few years back and the stair strings were pine. I remember the decorators using a water based stain on the pine and i could hardly tell the difference in colour to the natural oak timber.

Anyway i cant remember what the stain was and just wondered if any of you guys know of a good match.

I want to stain my handrail and skirtings at home but dont want something that looks the colour of dale wintons spray tan.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are a lot of different stains from many companies so i think the first thing you could do is get as many brochures as you can and offer them up.

Then if you can narrow it down get sample tins and apply to a scrap piece of pine, or maybe call the guys that did it and ask them if they can remember what they used, we often have go to products that we use on jobs.

Don't know the blokes anymore who did the job.

All I want really is a stain that looks like oak, seen too many that supposed to look like oak but comes out orange.

Anyone used any lately that is a good resembleance ?

Sponsored Links
For me the one that most resembles oak is Colron wood dye in English light oak (spirit based), it really looks the business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back