Can i take down and rebuild an exsisting extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Wondered if i can pick your brains. Can i take down my exsisting extension and rebuild to exactly the same dimensions but with deeper footings without having the need for planning permission? The extension has been built since 1968 but they did not build it correctly and unfortunatly it has started to subside. Any advice or what planning regs I should be looking for is greatly appreciated.

Thnaks in advance

Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard, a couple of points:-

1. You will need to apply for planning permission for the work.
2. You will have to build the new extension to current Building Regulations so you may find that the existing construction (from 1968) may not necessarily be adequate to achieve compliance. I am principally thinking about wall construction and insulation requirements here but without further details it's difficult to provide further guidance.

hth

Depends!! No permission required:

If the extension does not extend beyond the original house boundary by 4m (or 3m) for a detached (or semi) property AND the height does not exceed 4m (or 3m where the extension is within 2m of the boundary).

If the extension is being put back exactly as it was externally, then there would be an argument that this is no more than maintenance of the existing structure, and therefore can be done without new planning permission.

If there are significant changes in appearance and external dimensions, then its a new build, and subject to any permitted development rights or a full planning application

Building regs will be required if completely rebuilding

Sponsored Links
Cant it be underpinned?

New footings built a bit at a time etc, saves taking it all down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back