can i test a grundfos pump with a peice of fles and plug ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,,,I have some grundfos water pumps that I need to check to see if they are working,,,my question is can I just wire a piece of flex to them and plug it into the mains to see they turn or would that burn out the start capasitor or something???,,,I was just thinking maybe they are on a voltage drop when wired onto a boiler??? and putting 240 volt straight into them might damage them??? anybody???

Sponsored Links
Under normal use they are subject to a permanent 230V so no worries there.

However, I assume that you want to bench test them, so they won't be actually circulating any water. In which case, you can run them briefly, but their bearings are designed to be water lubricated so don't run them for long. I would recommend the use of an RCD, if the socket you plan to plug it into isn't supplied via one. And a 3A fuse in the plug.

Often an old pump that has failed and been taken out of service will run when powered up and running in fresh air, but wasn't previously able to manage to circulate water around a heating circuit. So the bench test might not prove much.

Could test in theory with water and a pressure gauge if you knew the discharge pressure, as said they don`t like being run dry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back