Running a Grundfos pump in isolation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, not really a plumbing question, but thought you guys would know.

I have an old traditional Grundfos C/H pump from my old system which I want to run in isolation. I've wired a plug on the end, and when I plug it in - nothing. Does it need a timer to work? What is the timer actually doing?

Cheers,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
If it doesn't work either
It's broken
You've wired it wrong
The fuse in the plug has blown.

What are u trying to do with it?

Thanks for the reply.

I have two and both do the same thing - of course, they could both be broken.

I haven't wired it wrong.

Fuse is fine, pump is definitely getting juice.

Pumping stuff!

Cheers,
Matt.

Sponsored Links
Do you think that it broken because:

a) Whatever you're trying to pump isn't moving or

b) The rotor isn't going round

A better description of the device is a circulator rather than a pump

Pumping stuff, now there's a broad description.

Your grundfos central heating pump, as newboy suggest, is really only good for circulating water around a ch/hw circuit, it won't be any good for raising/moving fluids as in a bilge or grey water pump. It needs primed with fluid and acting upon a liquid within a circuit to work correctly, it's not designed to say transfer liquids from one area to another.

That being said, does the impeller spin freely?

Thank you all very much for the replies.

Yes how effective it is as a pump was a concern of mine, but thought I'd try it.

I'm trying to move fluids from one place to another as you say.

The reason I think it's broken is because it makes noise or any vibration when I plug it in
Yes the impellors moves freely.

I am willing to accept I have two duff pumps, providing there is no electrical reason for them not working straight off a plug!

Any free/cheap pump suggestions? My plan was to make a nozzle/pump arrangement so I can fill up the car with veg oil from an oil drum.

Cheers,
Matt.

Does the pump take current from the mains supply?

The capacitor may be failed.

Have you tried to rotate the speed selector switch?

Tony

I am willing to accept I have two duff pumps, providing there is no electrical reason for them not working straight off a plug!

I'd suggest that they aren't duff - you're trying to pump a comparatively thick liquid rather than circulate water.

They definitely were not running - I could see the vanes not moving.

Anyhoo, thank you very much for replies, especially @bernardgreen for the link, it lead to a journey of discovery which ended in me buying a drill-powered heavy-duty pump off eBay for about a tenner which is doing the job perfectly.

Cheers,
Matt.

Any free/cheap pump suggestions? My plan was to make a nozzle/pump arrangement so I can fill up the car with veg oil from an oil drum.

Cheers,
Matt.

I'd be interested to know how long your car lasts after doing this!

I have already done nearly 30k miles over 2.5 years. The car will last just fine providing you know what you're doing. I did my research before I started to avoid any issues. There was one issue that I knew would rear its ugly head - piston ring gumming. I made a decision to blend my fuel in specific quantities and service at a specific interval in an experiment to see if the problem could be combatted. Well it made it nearly 2 years with no real special treatment before the old girl started having problems. After sorting out the gummed up piston rings I have now introduced a water injection technique during the 6 monthly service which should keep the pistons rings in rude health.

But of course, it could blow up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Matt.

What do your neighbours think of the smell?:)

Are you suppose to voluntarily pay tax (I seem to recsll an issue some years ago)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back