Grundfos Pump Wiring

Thank you all for your informative replies, if you took the trouble to read my original post properly you would see that I was only asking two basic questions, can the pump be wired directly to the mains, and what controls the pump starting up, my main interest was where the other end of the cable was attached as against the pump end, as no one has answered, except for scathing comments, I assume that no one can answer.
My 9 year old can help :D
Maybe you could ask your 9 year old to teach you some manners before he assists me!

Oh well this experience has taught me something, not to ask for assistance on this forum. Phil

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your informative replies, if you took the trouble to read my original post properly you would see that I was only asking two basic questions, can the pump be wired directly to the mains, and what controls the pump starting up, my main interest was where the other end of the cable was attached as against the pump end, as no one has answered, except for scathing comments, I assume that no one can answer.

Maybe you could ask your 9 year old to teach you some manners before he assists me!

Oh well this experience has taught me something, not to ask for assistance on this forum. Phil

Lighten up Phil FFS! :ROFLMAO: It’s just a bit of banter and not all aimed at you!

Just remove the flex from the “plug” that comes wth the pump, making a note of where the L,N & E wires go and then wire the existing flex (already attached into your wiring centre on your system) to the new pump’s “plug” matching the L,N & E positions (noted above) and plug it into the new pump... the “Live” to the pump is a ‘switched’ Live not a ‘permanent’ Live, which it would be if you just plugged it into a separate ‘mains’ supply. The ‘Switched Live’ to the pump is controlled by motorised valve(s) on your system, which in turn are controlled by thermostats and time controllers and therefore only ‘activate’ the pump when there is a demand for heat, be it CH or DHW! :)

Phil. We post to give advice. Whether you like advice or not is a matter for you. If we're "off hand" it is because when a question this simple is asked, we are worried about the safety of the askee.

Why would a pump be powered directly off the mains?

OP, the questions you're asking are an indication that you have no clue as to what you're doing, considering you could be on the wrong end of 240v it's probably best you get someone in.
it's a straight forward job for an experienced engineer, and shouldn't cost you much, even less because you've bought the pump now.

Sponsored Links
Lighten up Phil FFS! :ROFLMAO: It’s just a bit of banter and not all aimed at you!

Just remove the flex from the “plug” that comes wth the pump, making a note of where the L,N & E wires go and then wire the existing flex (already attached into your wiring centre on your system) to the new pump’s “plug” matching the L,N & E positions (noted above) and plug it into the new pump... the “Live” to the pump is a ‘switched’ Live not a ‘permanent’ Live, which it would be if you just plugged it into a separate ‘mains’ supply. The ‘Switched Live’ to the pump is controlled by motorised valve(s) on your system, which in turn are controlled by thermostats and time controllers and therefore only ‘activate’ the pump when there is a demand for heat, be it CH or DHW! :)
Thank you, that is exactly what I wanted to know. The wire at present going to the pump is, like the pump, over 20 years old and believe me it looks every year of it, my intention is to replace the lead as well as the pump, hence my interest in where it terminates. With your explanation I now feel confident in completing the job, I have always liked to try to understand how things work before tackling them. Phil

Alpha is supplied with a plug only (no flex).
Existing pump doesn't use a plug as flex is terminated into pump control box.
Possibly the pump is controlled via boiler overrun stat and not directly via MV end switch/s.

Anyone in the trade doing this job day in and day out would know exactly what type of plug was being referred too.

Sorry Wildcat, I have to offer you my sincerest appologies for my response to you. I was tired, and misread the posts, and missinterpreted the "plug end" in question. No, as Dan susmised, I haven't done a pump in a while, so maybe I should have avoided stepping into this one. We live and learn.

Alpha is supplied with a plug only (no flex).
Existing pump doesn't use a plug as flex is terminated into pump control box.
Possibly the pump is controlled via boiler overrun stat and not directly via MV end switch/s.

It shouldn’t be hard to ‘pick the bones’ out of what I posted :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back