Grundfos pump..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone on here can give me some information and advice on my central heating pump.
l have a Grundfos pump which was on speed 2 but has now stopped on this setting, it will not work on speed 1 but works on speed setting 3 but it seems to be working slowly on this speed.
What do you think is the fault, windings burnt out , Can these pumps be dismantled to look.
If l need a new pump do l have to get a grundfos or are all pumps like for like in size and connections.
The pump l have is Grundfos UPS 15-50-x18 . can someone tell me what these letters and numbers mean..
l have seen many Grundfos pumps saying different like
UPS2 15-50/60. UPS 15-50 and 15-60

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it's turning slowly on 3 that suggests there's muck in it. Turn off the valves either side of it and take the head off. It might be time to have your system powerflushed

Thanks for all you help and advice.. I put sentinel X400 system restorer in the F&E tank 2 weeks ago as the system has never been drained in the 20 years l have lived here.
The water looked black when l use to check air in the radiators so that's the reason l put the sentinel in.
How long can this stuff stay in before draining and putting inhibitor into the system.
As for the pump comments you mention , that now makes sense....
I will take the pump off and inspect the pump , is there any maintenance l can do when l take it off ..
Also the gate valves on either side of the pump are stiff , do you think these will leak when l turn them off .
The gate valve under the pump looks gungy/black around the joint.. Will these gate valves shut OK to take the pump off that's the question ....

The X400 needs to be in the system 4-5 weeks.

The pump valves are more at risk of snapping the spindles.

But good to take off the pump head and to see what is going on inside.

If the valve leaks a little then it can usually be caught in a tray for the few minutes.

Tony

The pump l have is Grundfos UPS 15-50-x18.
The 15-50 is the performance, as already stated. x18 is the distance between the two ports in centimetres. This would suggest that the pump is very old as current pumps are only 13cm between ports (shown as 130 on the pump), so you would need an adapter to fill the 5cm gap. Alternatively, if the valves need replacing, the pipes can be lengthened.

The UPS2 15-50/60 is the correct replacement. The UPS 15-50 and 15-60 no longer meet EU standards for energy consumption..

The 15-50 is the performance, as already stated. x18 is the distance between the two ports in centimetres. This would suggest that the pump is very old as current pumps are only 13cm between ports (shown as 130 on the pump), so you would need an adapter to fill the 5cm gap. Alternatively, if the valves need replacing, the pipes can be lengthened.

The UPS2 15-50/60 is the correct replacement. The UPS 15-50 and 15-60 no longer meet EU standards for energy consumption..
Thanks for that info D.Hailsham , wondered what the X18 meant ... So if l do need a new pump what would l adapter would l need to make up the 5mm if l get a UPS 15-50 pump or is there any other pumps that are 18cm between the two ports.
If the valves need changing and l lengthen the pipe to make up the 5mm can l use compression joints or do they need soldering ...

Longer body pumps are available but rarely fitted for new now.

HI If you have put some x400 in the F/E you need to drain some water down from a rad ect to get the x400 into the system or it may just sit in the F/E

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back