can i tile on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come to take the paper off my downstairs toilet walls, and the plasterboard has just been papered over, not skimmed over with plaster, well when i took the wallpaper off, it has puled bits off the plasterboard skin, in places the paper has come off completely and its down to just the plaster....can i tile on this? or do i have to have it skimmed over or something.
thanks

Sponsored Links
No need for any special preparation in a dry tiling area. Just force a tight flat spread with the "flat"edge of the steel trowel then apply adhesive, and tile as usual.

If possible, always avoid tiling over skimmed plaster.

No need for any special preparation in a dry tiling area. Just force a tight flat spread with the "flat"edge of the steel trowel then apply adhesive, and tile as usual.

If possible, always avoid tiling over skimmed plaster.
Thanks Vinn....but sorry mate, you lost a novice here...."Just force a tight flat spread with the "flat"edge of the steel trowel then apply adhesive, and tile as usual".......does that mean i am okay to add adhesive to the paper stuff on the plasterboard?

One edge of your steel tile trowel is notched the other edge is smooth or"flat".
Spread the adhesive with the flat edge over the paper bare patches.
Spread it 2mm or 3mm thin and tight.

Sponsored Links
One edge of your steel tile trowel is notched the other edge is smooth or"flat".
Spread the adhesive with the flat edge over the paper bare patches.
Spread it 2mm or 3mm thin and tight.
ahhhhh....thanks mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back