Preparing bathroom for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of re-fitting an en-suite bathroom and have just removed the old tiles from the bathroom. I intend to do the jobs I can myself but will get a professional in to do the tiling - however I want to know a little more information before I get quotes.

The old tiles were on plasterboard walls, over which there was a thin layer of plaster skim. Removing the tiles from the wall has left tile adhesive stuck to the wall in some places, the plaster skim in others, and in some the skim has come away to leave just the plasterboard.

Obviously the walls will need to be fixed up before tiles are attached, but I'm unsure what the best option is:

1. Remove everything down to the plasterboard and tile directly onto the board.

2. Remove everything down to the plasterboard, re-skim and tile onto the plaster.

3. Remove as much as possible, skim over whats left and tile onto this.

My guess is that option 3 will be more prone to tiles coming off later as the plaster is unlikely to be as well attached to the wall. Other than that, I'm not sure what the best option is - 1, 2 or something else (I really don't want to be taking out and re-fitting plasterboard walls).

If I am to remove the old adhesive and skim, what's the best way of getting it off? It seems to flake off reasonably easy in some parts but is better attached in others.

Many apologies if this question has been asked before - I've searched and not found anything, but I am a bit of a novice at this. I just want to have a bit of an idea before I start getting tradesmen out.

Sponsored Links
would it not be easier mate to just remove the old plasterboard mate then re-board the room,then just tile?
thats the way i would do it

As I say, if at all possible I'd far rather not be taking out and replacing the plasterboard. That seems to take it from a tiling job into fairly significant building works.

Sponsored Links
3. Remove as much as possible, skim over what’s left and tile onto this.
My guess is that option 3 will be more prone to tiles coming off later as the plaster is unlikely to be as well attached to the wall.
Not the case if it’s properly done; it’s perfectly feasible to clean the walls off & re-plaster but if it's back to brick, you will need a base coat & finish plaster. It would certainly be the option at the top of my list but I’m a plasterer amongst other things.

Failing that take the existing stuff down (it’s probably not that good anyway) and re-board as the others have stated. Use only Moisture Resistant plaster board in a bathroom & you must tank the wet areas if you want it to last. An option to tanking would be to use a decent tile backer board in the wet areas, seal the joins & tile onto that.

If I am to remove the old adhesive and skim, what's the best way of getting it off? It seems to flake off reasonably easy in some parts but is better attached in others.
Club hammer & sharp bolster chisel.

Whenever we came across this problem we would get as much of the adhesive off as is possible and then reskim it and tile over the top

Whenever we came across this problem we would get as much of the adhesive off as is possible and then reskim it and tile over the top

2 things

1. more than likely to damage the face of p/board.
2. re-skimm will bring down weight per m2 from 32kg to 20kg.

Overall I dot and dab. It takes me a day to dot and dab and re skim the ceiling in an average bathroom and I get the walls absolutely perfect, so a 600 x 300 tile would be no problem at all. The tiling can be done the same day too, a bonding and finish coat takes several weeks to dry, not an option for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back