Level/Skim the wall with tile adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed some tiles in my bathroom, whilst removing the tiles it has pulled off some of the original skim coat plaster in places so I have some plaster and some plasterboard showing.

My plan is to fill these shalow areas (3mm) and any minor imperfections with a pass of MAPEI RAPID-SET WALL & FLOOR ADHESIVE, to level everything out.

Its a Rapid-setting flexible adhesive.

And then use the same to attach the tiles once it has dried.

Is that feasible?

I plan to use MAPEI plaster primer on the remaining plaster and what is showing of the plasterboards prior to filling.

Do I need to prime again before tiling with the same adhesive and if so do I use the same primer?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is there a particular reason you think you need to fill it? I would have thought it was more trouble than it's worth unless you're using tiny tiles that will be swallowed up by the indentations or massive tiles that desperately need 100% adhesive coverage. I just removed some tiles and they did not want to come off even once I'd cut through more than half of the adhesive (I was trying not to break them)

Everything I read tells me to start with a flat even surface. I've never tiles before so was thinking it would be easier to make a good job of it.

Would it work as in is that primer the correct one for that adhesive and my surface?

Is it ok to tile over the adhesive and would I need to reprime?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't class myself as an expert tiler but I have tiled a few rooms with good results and I really would not worry about 3mm.
My assumption would be that you will get a stronger bond with one bed of adhesive at the time of tiling than if you stick new adhesive to not quite new adhesive, even if you prime it.
If you have some spare adhesive and a couple of old tiles you could always do an experiment, or you could contact Mapei.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back