Tile adhesive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask some advise about tile adhesive please.
Tiles are ceramic, 250 x 200mm and each one weighs about 600g. Wall is mainly skimmed plasterboard with some bare bits where the old tile adhesive pulled the plaster off.
I had some Unibond fix and grout ready mix from B&Q but took that back after reading in the sticky that was cr*p and got some Mapei fast set adhesive (powdered) from B&Q. However I have since read that although Mapei was recommended buying it from B&Q was not.
I am now somewhat confused as to whether or not this is suitable.
Can someone advise please?
Thanks for your time. Raymond.

Sponsored Links
Tiles are ceramic, 250 x 200mm and each one weighs about 600g. Wall is mainly skimmed plasterboard with some bare bits where the old tile adhesive pulled the plaster off.
I make that 12kg/sqm & even adding a max 4kg/sqm for adhesive will still put you below the limit of 20kg/sqm. You need to fill the damaged areas before tiling, easiest way is to use powder adhesive just before you tile. You must always prime plaster & plasterboard with an acrylic primer when using powder adhesive to prevent a possible reaction between the cement in the addy & Gypsum in the plaster. Tank any wet areas.

I had some Unibond fix and grout ready mix from B&Q but took that back after reading in the sticky that was cr*p
Wise move. ;)

and got some Mapei fast set adhesive (powdered) from B&Q. However I have since read that although Mapei was recommended buying it from B&Q was not. I am now somewhat confused as to whether or not this is suitable.
B&Q started selling what was (is) purported to be Mapei some time ago but after checking the stuff out for someone else (I use BAL), I became suspicious as the packaging & product names were completely different to the trade stuff, this link should explain how the story progressed;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1814492#1814492
My guess is that it’s a coalition attempt between the two to launch a well know trade brand name into the DIY market & give a credible alternative to the current crap they offer; personally I think it’s a bit sneaky to prostitute a respected brand name in that way & am slightly at a loss to understand why Mapei would do it. Weather it’s any good I can’t say as I’ve never used it; budget powder addy is probably a safer bet than tub mix & fix & grout products which border on being not fit for purpose but personally I would never use or recommend DIY tiling products anyway.

Your looking in the wrong places; stop searching the DIY sheds & the major BM’s, the majority certainly won’t be of much use when it comes to decent tiling products; you need to be seeking out you local trade tile outlets (even Topps at a push but be prepared to haggle) or on-line.

This is the sort of primer you should be using;
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87305...nd Adhesives-_-Mapei Tile Adhesive Primer 1kg
or this;
http://www.ceramictiletools.co.uk/s...e-apd-acrylic-primer-for-fixing-ceramic-tiles
or others of the same ilk if you get my drift!

Sponsored Links
There is a Screwfix newly opened just along from my work. I'll call in tomorrow.
Thanks for that Richard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back