Natural stone mosaic splashback - tubbed or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would greatly appreciate some advice on a first ever tiling job (albeit a very small one).

Bought two 30x30 natural stone mosaic tiles from B&Q to form a splashback over a 42cm wide cloakroom basin, along with a tub of Mapei wall adhesive and grout (yes I know the sticky advises against such types... But even the 30x30 will be reduced to fit and it's just a single height splashback.)

Then I noticed the tub says not for use with natural stone tiles... Question is, given the mosaic has plenty of gaps will it be ok (ie harden/stick) given total height of about 23cm and each 'piece' of mosaic about 6cm? If not I'd rather not have to scrape it all off to start again with bagged - but seemed a bit overkill to get kilos of adhesive for such a small amount?

Sponsored Links
Why would you use an adhesive that the manufacturer specifically says is unsuitable for the tiles that you're fixing? What's a small bag of rapidset to do the job right? £10?

Fair enough! I was just querying as I would assume the suitability (or lack thereof) is due to the fact natural stone won't breathe and so would prevent the product from drying, but mosaic with its many gaps might not have the issue. But your absolutely right, for a tenner it ain't worth the risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back