Mosaic Wall Tile Laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to put only 6...30x30 sheets of mosaic tiles above my cloakroom sink. before I start has anyone anytips please ?

I'm OK at putting a batten on the wall to ensure a level but do I need to worry about the sheet sagging on the wall before the adhesive hardens and the gaps between the small tiles sagging with it..or is this not a problem ? Do the pros pin/nail under the top tiles to stop the whole thing dropping or again, is this not a problem ?

Sponsored Links
A lot depends on the adhesive you are using, if they are glass mosaics the adhesive will take longer to start stiffening up so avoid premixed tile & grout adhesives. You best bet is something like BAL Mosaic fix which is a pure white powdered adhesive so if any squeezes between the tiles it will not show too much.

Also use a small 4mm notch mosaic trowel, too much adhesive will make setting the sheets difficult.

Jason

good tip Jason. I was going to use an adhesive/grout mix purely for adhesive, 'cos I've got some, and a separate powder grout. Letting the adhesive dry a little before applying the tile sheets to reduce slip. I'll certainly get some of the BAL though from Topps Tiles I think.

The tiles are stone which I have just sealed with a high quality , smelly, sealant.

topgazza said:
The tiles are stone which I have just sealed with a high quality , smelly, sealant.
Could I be so nosy as to ask which sealant you used, and whether or not you think it's a good one for stone?

Sponsored Links
its called HG Marble Impregnator. The effect is completely neutral, no gloss patches and no dust anymore. The guy in Tiles Direct in Basingstoke took time to explain why the sealant was needed and apologised for the £15 for a litre as I only needed a small area done. Recommended I did this before laying, again because of the small quantity. Did it outside as the fumes are very strong. Looks good and better than I expected with no noticable colour shade change to the tiles.

Also I brushed 3 treatments. rather than 1 on the tiles allowing a good 2 hours between treatments.

Thanks topgazza - more information that I expected and all of it invaluable. :D

You guys are always so helpful so its really no problem.

I've never used unglazed tiles before so it was all new to me. Leveled wall as best I can after removing old tile adhesive and putting light skim on. Only a teeny bit unlevel in small patches its as good as it can get and looks good enough not to make the tiles look uneven.

Tomorrow night it is......

Lithofin stainstop is another option and is probably better than the HG but costs more :cry:

Use a grout float to tap the mosaics level.

Jason

as Jason says ....use Bal products

http://www.bpindex.co.uk/manf.html?id=1060

topgazza
are the sheets a cotton type fabric on the back or paper ,
I believe the paper type ones are easier for a virgin tiler to use ,
but the fabric ones are easy too .....
if you do as jason says regarding the levelling with a tile trowel ,

dont faff about with them.......
just place an gently tap with the trowel , jobs a good one ....

regarding the trowel used an mud mix we always used a 3 mm trowel , here half way down
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/Trowels_.html

They have a kind of fibre mesh on the back not paper Moz. Put them on last night and your tip worked a treat. I marked out, put batten on the bottom and applied the adhesive. Slapped the panels on and pressed them down...they stuck and didn't move. Did a teeny bit of adjusting a few individual tiles to line them up. Much easier than my original post suggested I thought it would be.........

The penultimate sheet had a number of unstuck tiles. I had to remove it after lifting those and trying to restick and I had to re apply adhesive all over but thats my fault for being light with it is the first place on that sheet.That sheet is not as flat as the others but its not bad. Grouting tonight with some powdermix brilliant white grout.

Thanks for you advice chaps hopefully anyone else doing this for the first time will feel better...

topgazza
Im really pleased we could help you there ....:)

an if you can why not post some pics , ;)

Looks really good and I'm really pleased. The tiling is in an alcove and the tile sheets fitted perfectly on both sides.

tiles.jpg

Thats not a smear on the tiles on the right of the sink its just an effect of the flash

topgazza

Heyyyyy that is bang on :) :)

as a pro tiler you done a "Boss Job !" WELL DONE !!!! OH YES !! ;) ;)

there.... thats nice are you gonna go the whole way an fit a edging trim ?

was I right about not faffing about with them sheets , or what , ?

topgazza

good job big thumbs up Respect ! :) :)

Cheers Moz. You were spot on. Put the adhesive on the wall, slap the tile sheets on....and the individual little tiles just stay where they are. I had to remove the bottom right sheet to re-apply adhesive but you wouldn't know it. I like the rough edge without the edging trim. Took a little while to make the grouting at the top look neat. Bit of a bugger was the sealant around the sink. OK on smooth glazed tiles but lots of masking tape on the mosaic to protect it

I must confess I do pretty much everything myself in the house, plumbing including the sink you see, wooden floors, dry lining, except Corgi stuff. I guess it comes from being an electrician by trade years ago and having a go at pretty much everything so I have laid more tiles than I care to remember. I love doing it, lots of satifaction. But never mosaics before.

They have a great visual effect and the choices with glass, metallic all sorts of weird stuff makes for some great ideas.This one was a small project (really?) but I've got the mosaic bug now........

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back