Can I turn my two noisy pumps down?

CA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We rent a three bedroom fairly large detatched house with a rather frustrating mess of plumbing running from a Heritage Duette oil-fueled cooker range.

But the problem today is that there is an awful lot of humming noise (not new) coming from the two pumps, which dissapears when I switch them both down from 3 to 2.

My question is: can I do this??? Why do they have three speeds?

One is a WILO Gold RS60 which after experimenting, seems to be running the whole central heating system - if I turn down ALL the thermostats it stops.

The other is a GRUNDFOS UPS 15-60 130 which I don't quite understand its purpose. But I can only make this one stop if I switch the Heritage boiler off completely.

Both are currently set to 3. Both are humming. Both have to stop humming! Because we run our house as a Bed & Breakfast and the one bedroom which is consistently warm, we have had complaints about because the humming keeps our guests awake at night. It is situated right above the boiler and pumps with nothing insulating between the two.

Please tell me I can indeed turn them both down!!! That would be so easy. Any other solution would be hugely tricky and possibly involve rebuilding the house I reckon! Even fitting brackets to the wall around each pump would be virtually useless as the wall is a crumbly old slate-stone and lime mortar construction... that's if you could even get your drill near it for all the pipes, expansion tanks and flews in the way!

Also, I should mention that the heating system includes three highly inefficient under-floor circuits - due to the muppet builder not paying any attention to the rule for laying under-floors. Basically most of the heat is warming the huge voids under the floor boards! So it literally takes a week to warm these rooms up from cold so we have to leave everything on all the time. And we've put a total of 4500 litres of fuel in over the past 12months.

Sorry about the rant, but thought it might help answer why the pumps are set to 3.

Many thanks for any help offered,

Chris.[/i]

Sponsored Links
Turn the pumps down - Forget the underfloor , just get rads fitted and the redundant U/F capped - Job Done ;) That`ll cost you a weekend break for 2 off season :LOL:

Thanks Nige,

Somehow rads seem so attractive! Don't know what it is about them?

Anyway, so you think the pumps can be turned down? Won't that make the whole system even less efficient?

Would the amount of pressure in the circuit affect anything? It's on about 1bar at the mo'. But goes up to 3bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back