Can I use a live or neutral coloured cable with earth sleeving?

My usual rate for "expert opinion" is £60 per hour or part thereof!;)
I also have a 'usual rate', but I don't expect (or get!) payment for my participation in internet forums, even when the subject matter is relevant to my fields of expertise!
I do know some Standards that would be satisfied by what you described, but you hadn't specified which Standard(s) you meant. If you meant BS7671, then no, I don't have sufficient knowledge of that Standard.
You know what we are talking about, and I would have to take your advice as to what were the 'relevant Standards'.
Where did you find that?
Presumably the same place as you found "... something that met the requirements for double or reinforced insulation" (the comment of yours to which I was responding). My only knowledge of any such requirements relates to BS7671, but you may be aware of other relevant Standards.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I've said before, there seems to be a difference between how conductors within enclosures and conductors within cables are treated. In the former case, unless there is an outer earthed metal casing, there is a requirement for double (or 'reinforced') insulation.
The above is what I was questioning, because it is AFAIK not correct, even within BS7671. Hence my asking where you found that.

Where is the requirement for double or reinforced insulation unless there is an outer earthed metal casing?

Sponsored Links
I was led to believe by certain people in my last job that they are manufacturer's regulations.

But I may be off the mark.

The regs defines double insulation as basic insulation and supplementary insulation. Would you say the insulation on tails matches the descriptions?

Where is the requirement for double or reinforced insulation unless there is an outer earthed metal casing?
Interesting - and that highlights a confusion I've always suffered from, and have on a number of occasions attempted to discuss here, and elsewhere. In essence, what I said was what I understand to be the common interpretation of what the totality of Chapter 41 says ....

Most people seem to believe that, if not SELV ('Class III') everything has to be either 'Class I' or 'Class II'. Class II, as we've been discussing, requires 'double or reinforced insulation' between any bare live conductors and the (touchable) outside world. Class I requires that exposed-conductive-parts be earthed, but (and this is where the confusion arises) seemingly does not actually require that any exposed-conductive-parts have to be present.

Most people seem to interpret this as meaning that if there is not an earthed metal 'case', then there has to be 'double or reinforced insulation' between the conductors and the outside world. Specifically, they feel that to have just 'single' (and not 'reinforced') insulation between a conductor and the outside world is not acceptable/compliant. ... and I'm not sure that I can think of a better interpretation than that.

Any thoughts would be very welcome!

Kind Regards, John

The regs defines double insulation as basic insulation and supplementary insulation.
Indeed so.
Would you say the insulation on tails matches the descriptions?
Well, it is being suggested that the sheath of such a cable does not necessarily have to qualify as 'insulation' - and, if it doesn't, the situation presumably could not be described as one of 'double insulation'.

As some have pointed out, the regs do not the 'DI' phrase in relation to cables.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back