Can I use a Neon Indicator ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a question which I would like to ask.

I have a mains powered air compressor which is housed inside its own concrete cupboard built onto the rear of my garage.

The air compressor will be powered from a dedicated circuit running from the consumer unit in the garage into the cupboard.

I have to switch the compressor on and off on the compressor itself.

What I would like to do is have a neon indicator fitted inside the garage as a reminder to me that the air compressor is still switched on so that I remember to switch it off at the compressor at the end of the day.

Could I use a neon indicator to do this ? If I understand it correctly the indicator to be connected between L and SL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just have a switch incorporating a neon indicator somewhere along the cable run from CU to compressor?

It would not work as to light the compressor would need to be running or trying to run so if the air is up then no neon will light.

I had a similar problem and on more than one occasion I was locking the gates only to hear the compressor start up.

I assume single phase so using a neon switched fused connection unit if under 13A would be favourite.

Water is normally a problem with compressors and unless it has some automatic water removing system it is normal to always drain after switching off. So in a domestic can't see the problem as it is just the same as switching off lights. Something one automatically does as one leaves.

I think you will need to take a feed from the SL inside the compressor back to the neon, and then to the neutral. So a 3core+E cable between the compressor shed and the garage.

Depending on the situation it may be possible to arrange relays and a buzzer so if you eg turn off the garage lights on your way out, but the compressor is still on, a buzzer sounds.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ericmark

You made an excellent point ! As soon as the compressor tank is fully charged the compressor would switch off and no longer draw any current.

As the indicator light would be in series it would go off.

It is a single phase compressor.

I have read in the instructions that it can damage the compressor if you simply shut the power off to it, without operating the switch at the compressor which releases air from the top of the piston head and allows it to restart easier.

The idea for the light was to remind me to do this.

Could I use a neon indicator to do this ? If I understand it correctly the indicator to be connected between L and SL.
It would not work as to light the compressor would need to be running or trying to run so if the air is up then no neon will light.
I'm a bit confused by this. A neon between L and S/L would surely be 'off' (not lit) when the compressor's switch was 'on' and would probably come on (lit) when that switch was turned off? Unless I'm missing something, to obtain the presumably desired functionality (the opposite of what I've just described), the neon would surely have to be connected between S/L and N?

Kind Regards, John.

The locator neon in switches ( so they can be found on the dark ) goes between Live and Switched live. So understandable that some people assume neons are connected between L and SL

A workshop I know has a the bolt home micro-switch in the door lock wired to a contactor such that when the door is locked there is no power to the machinery.

The intention was to stop workers locking themselves in and thus keeping the boss out and using machines for doing private work.

The locator neon in switches ( so they can be found on the dark ) goes between Live and Switched live. So understandable that some people assume neons are connected between L and SL
Indeed, but I presume that's not the functionality the OP wants.

If the OP empties/depressurises the compressor's reservoir/pressure vessel when it's switched off, and if there is a problem getting access to wiring within the compressor, I suppose another option would be to use a pressure switch operated from the air plumbing.

You will recall that we had a discussion here recently about an external neon to indicate that the light in a cloakroom has been left switched on, and that I indicated that when I tried that, no-one ever noticed that the neon was glowing! I fear the OP might have the same problem - so think that the suggestions to have some sort of alarm which sounds if the premises are locked whilst the compressor is still on is far more likely to achieve the desired aim.

Kind Regards, John.

Is there anything you lock up when you leave?

If so get a keyswitch of the sort where the key can't be removed if it's on, wire it into the supply to the compressor, local to the compressor, and have the key on the same keyring as the door locks.

You won't then be able to leave without retrieving the keys, so assuming that when you go to the compressor location to get them you'll remember that you're supposed to turn it off then you'll not be able to leave without turning it off.

Hi Ban All Sheds

I like your suggestion - by any chance do you have a web address where I could see the type of keyswitch that you make reference to.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back