Can I use a vailant combi boiler for hot water when the radiators are disconnected?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cant yet reconnect the radiators but I'd like to have some hot water to have a shower etc. Can I use a vailant combi boiler for hot water when the radiators are disconnected? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, you need the heating pipework filled or it won't work. It may be possible to install a short temporary circuit to get it going but it's up to you whether that's worth the hassle

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. It might be a daft idea but would it be OK to cap the rads pipes, represurinse the boiler and use it as if the radiators are connected?

you need to make a circuit with flow and return connected to boiler ( continuous )

Thanks. Would I need to connect all my radiators or would it be OK to connect the downstairs radiators and cap the upstairs ones?

As long as you can maintain a flow between the heating pipes it will be ok. Do you have the room near the boiler to cut into the flow and return and connect across with hep elbows and pipe? Then end feed straight couplings can be used to rejoin cut pipes at a later date. Or, as suggested earlier, join across two rad valves with hep and adaptors to make the circuit.

So what happens when all the rads are turned off in the summer. How is flow maintained then?

You can use a Vaillant combi boiler for HW only with the CH pipes disconnected and capped, or turned off under the boiler.

Assuming it is an ecoTEC combi, eg: 8 series, with an internal filling loop. Eg: standard model 2004-2106.

We've used them as standalone water heaters in the past. The other posters are misinformed.

You can use a Vaillant combi boiler for HW only with the CH pipes disconnected and capped, or turned off under the boiler.

Assuming it is an ecoTEC combi, eg: 8 series, with an internal filling loop. Eg: standard model 2004-2106.

We've used them as standalone water heaters in the past. The other posters are misinformed.

Where do Vaillant document this and will they still honour the warranty if used in this way?

Where do Vaillant document this and will they still honour the warranty if used in this way?
Who said anything about a warranty?
OP asked a simple question to which he was misinformed by members who haven't a clue...unless you know for sure then don't reply.

Do you have the room near the boiler to cut into the flow and return and connect across with hep elbows and pipe? Then end feed straight couplings can be used to rejoin cut pipes at a later date. Or, as suggested earlier, join across two rad valves with hep and adaptors to make the circuit.

:ROFLMAO:.......internal bypass wouldn't achieve this???
Jeez..:rolleyes:....what happens when all TRV's shut down????

Who said anything about a warranty?
OP asked a simple question to which he was misinformed by members who haven't a clue...unless you know for sure then don't reply.

FFS! It was a question (not a dig) - directed at Simond who stated he has used them as standalone water heaters in the past, I assume they were bought new, for the purpose and was "wondering" if the warranty was still valid if used like that?
Now get off your high horse "Harry Feckin Potter" :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back