Can I use flow and return pipes for an airing cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a worcester boiler and megaflow in the garage, next to the garage is the utility room, there is a brick wall separating the two rooms.
I would like to build an airing cupboard in the utility room since the washing machine and tumble dryer are there.
Since the pipework will only need to travel a meter, go through a wall and then into the airing cupboard (still to be made) I thought that instead of using a small rad that I could instead run a loop of pipe off the bathroom towel radiators flow and return pipes through the cupboard instead.

Is this a good idea? Will it provide enough heat or should I just attach a small rad anyway?
The reasoning behind this is that in summer the heating is switched off but I'd like to keep the airing cupboard going which if I switch the bathroom towel rads down low ... I could do.

Also - and I know this is not really a plumbing question - what is the best material to make (or buy) for the airing cupboard, bearing in mind the idea is to trap heat, is there anything obvious I should be considering?
thanks in advance for any advice on this
:D

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't say categorically 'no'. it's possible to put heat into a cupboard with just pipe runs, but it won't be much. a lot depends on size of cupboard and what temp you're hoping to achieve. if there are high heat losses you'll struggle, if it's superbly insulated then maybe. but you'll find that the cost of sufficient pipe is about the same as a small rad anyway.
i also doubt that your proposal would be economical during the summer, but that depends on how much money you have to burn.
the mice will love it!

and it would seem that just pipework is out of the question... this is good to know. Very helpful advice, this avenue is clearly closed and a rad appears to be the only route available.
ps the mice need no encouragement in this house, we had one make itself at home in the spare room... took us ages to find it and relocate it. Hopefully its not a homing mouse!

Sponsored Links
use a small rad eg. 600 x 400K1. Less than £20 to heat cupboard. Build airing cupboard with 3 x 2 CLS and pack with glass wool. Face with 12.5mm plasterboard (foil backed if you like)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back