Can I use plastic shims to pack up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a flat warm roof on an extension with a parapet all around, my block later is out by 30mm on one corner of the building and 10mm on the other side. Not happy one bit but he's been paid and gone!

2 options I have now is to shutter this out and fill with either sand and cement or concrete with small chippings or concrete sand. Or I can pack the joists up with shims and build up the mortar bed for setting my insulated blocks between the joists. I already have bags of plastic shims from 1mm up to 10mm which will be perfect under the joists for getting them level. These would save work cutting timer shims but are they acceptable for under joists.

Sponsored Links
Plastic shims are fine, slate would be better.

Was worried incase the plastic shims compressed under loading and went with slates in the end. Maybe a bit over thinking on my behalf about the plastic compressing but i always want to do things right first time around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back