Can I use power sander on ceiling/walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Disclaimer: I know this is a stupid question and I apologize for that. I am rubbish at DIY but I promise to get better.

Now, can I use a power sander to sand down stupid textures on the ceiling, and maybe to prepare the walls for painting?
If so, which is best, the disk or belt?
Also, could I use the same power sander for ceiling/walls and on a wooden floor?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Not really, best to skim over it.

Whatever you do don't go sanding 'textured' ceilings or walls. They may contain asbestos depending on their age.

If you have lumpy plaster on your walls then yes a sander does a fine job of smoothing them.

I use a palm sander, cheap one available at Aldi for under a tenner.
Just get plenty of discs too.

Wife uses it for sanding down the woodwork too.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answers. I will send a sample to a lab to check if it is asbestos.
I will probably buy a cheap palm sander then, as I can use it on some of the walls as well.
How difficult is it to skim the ceiling? Is it a skill that could be picked up by watching a few youtube videos? or am I better to leave it to the professionals?

Just a tip from the worlds worst plasterer :p
If your ceilings are artexed, have them skimmed by a pro......and prepare to be amazed at the skill and speed.
For lumpy walls, use a 60 or 80 grit paper on your sander - but do go for dust extraction if you can, or at least have a machine with its own dust bag.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back