Can I use socket for a fused spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently wired some underfloor heating via a fused spur to a single socket in my kitchen. However, looking at this forum, I'm confused as to whether I should have done so.

The single socket had the following running to it:

2 x Live (Black) with 3 rigid copper strands in each;
2 x Neutral (Blue) with 3 rigid copper strands in each; and
2 x Earth (Green/Yellow) with 1 rigid copper strand in each

What I'd like to know is is whether this single socket was already a spur. If yes, can I remove the single socket and wire the underfloor heating directly to the ring main? What kind of junction box would I need?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You need to identify if the initial socket that you spurred off is on the ring or not. If it is, your spur is OK. The link below will help you determine what type of circuit it is. A spur can only feed one single socket, or one twin socket, or one fused connection unit.

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el011.php#a1

As you have two cables comming into the socket, that would suggest it is on the ring, or it's already had a second spur added and could be overloaded. (in the past, it was allowable to have a spur with 2 single sockets on, but this was outlawed to prevent someone swapping the singles for doubles and overloading) If you have access to a multimeter you will be able to test the existing cables to see if they are connected and are infact a ring.

If you find you have to move your spur, a 30A junction box is what you need.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331817&ts=92456&id=17018

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back