Connecting a spur socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am connecting spur socket into an existing socket which already has wires running into it and wires running out of it to another socket. The question I have is that the existing wires running in and out each have three single inner copper wires(3 for live and 3 for neutral). Because of this, once all three wires are intertwined the width is very thick and it is very hard to insert it into the plug. The new wire I am running to the spur only has one single copper wire for e,l and n.

I was just wondering whether it would be ok to trim the existing wire so there is one longer piece of copper within each wire, I was then going to twist the new wire just around this longer length making the final much thinner and easier to insert into the plug.

I think the existing wires are old as live is still red and neutral is black, is there a reason why these wires have 3 seperate cooper wires within each one or is just because they are old. Any help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
I just checked the date and no, the First of April was definitely over a week ago...

Firstly, the three inner cores of each conductor make up a total cross-sectional area with a given current carrying capacity. NO, you can't just use one of them.

Secondly, there are several other issues to consider when adding sockets. As you don't appear to understand anything at all about electrical wiring you should not be attempting this without further research. Start by reading the FAQ post at the top of this forum - plenty of good advice there.

Echo what dingbat says

A side point, only 3 strands :?: IIRC it should have 7 ?

Sponsored Links
It might be only 3/036, roughly equivalent to today's 1.5 sq mm.

Or maybe four strands on each have already been snipped off?

But whatever it is, the OP does not know enough to be certain of doing this job safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back