double wall socket replacement - novice lost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old socket cover has 1 earth, 1 neutral & 1 live. Into which three cables feed - each consisting of 1 earth, 1 neutral and 1 live - a total of 3 x 3 wires (9) in all.

The new double socket fascia has an additional Earth "hole" - as well as the "N" & "L" inputs.

I just inserted the 3 neutral wires from each of the three cables into the "N" input, same with the 3 red live wires into the "L" hole, and the 3 green earth wires into the leftmost Earth hole.

The result: A loud bang! Oops.

Which of the Earth holes must I use? Left? Rightmost? Both?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. One of the Earth wires is unsheathed - just the bare copper wire, if that matters/helps.

Sponsored Links
You can use either or both earth terminals. The earth conductors must be properly sleeved.
Your problem may be because of a shorted conductor (perhaps the unprotected earth)

The old socket cover has 1 earth, 1 neutral & 1 live. Into which three cables feed - each consisting of 1 earth, 1 neutral and 1 live - a total of 3 x 3 wires (9) in all.

The new double socket fascia has an additional Earth "hole" - as well as the "N" & "L" inputs.

I just inserted the 3 neutral wires from each of the three cables into the "N" input, same with the 3 red live wires into the "L" hole, and the 3 green earth wires into the leftmost Earth hole.

The result: A loud bang! Oops.

Which of the Earth holes must I use? Left? Rightmost? Both?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. One of the Earth wires is unsheathed - just the bare copper wire, if that matters/helps.

Times are tough, budgets are tight but should you be doing this yourself without the right level of experience and knowledge? It could cost you more in the long run??

Sponsored Links
You have probably pinched a wire with one of the faceplate screws, or pinched a wire against the earth terminal on the box (if there is one).

Check all wires for damage and repair as necessary.

All bare earth wires must be sleeved with green/yellow sleeving.

Check all connections are tight before you fit the socket back to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back