Spur - best way to connect to supply socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to add a spur. I have mounted and wired the new socket and run the cable to the supply socket. I tried to connect the three wires (2 from the loop and 1 for the spur) into the supply socket and it wasn't happening! The wires won't stay in the screw holders. Is there a better way to do this? (I was thinking maybe a junction box with the three cables going in one side and a single line out of the other side that then powers the supply socket??)

Hope that makes sense, many thanks

Sponsored Links
No reason why three 2.5mm conductors should not fit into one terminal hole and be retained. Remove the grub screw from the terminal (don't lose it), make sure the cables are stripped long enough so that they hit the back of the hole (but there is still sufficient insulation where it comes past the terminal). Insert all three conductors, replace and tighten the grub screw.

I have done this before successfully but every time i had L, N and E all hooked up, one would pop out when I tried to mount it back on the wall - I thought if they do that it would also be a lot safer to use a single wire into the socket?

You can take a spur from the ring by way of a junction box.

junction_spur.jpg

Not being able to terminate three conductors in the back of a socket is usually that they are not stripped long enough and/or the existing two are buckled from the previous termination. Freshly strip them, and try again

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for the advice - i'll try re stripping them (if there's enough cable) and if not fit a junction box

One tip, is whatever you do don't try and twist the wires together, it will increase the overall thickness, and then it definitely won't fit in the hole...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back