Electricity supply in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIYers,

I have an electrical supply in my detached garage which runs off a spur supplied by the ring main. There's a double socket in the garage which I want to move to a different location. However, the supply also runs the inside lighting and outside lighting so there's three sets of wires connected to the plug (spur, inside light and outside light wiring).

What's the best way of moving the socket? Is it possible to fit a junction box? What amp size would the box need to be? i.e. 20A, 30A?

Or do I need to fit a fused spur connection box? Would one of these have enough terminals to accommodate all the wires?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not a fused spur. The spur is taken from a single socket in my house which is wired directly to a double socket outlet in the garage. The lighting is also wired into this socket.

All the info is included in my original post. Apologies that it isn't in electrician-speak.

Sponsored Links
ahh :!: the question has already been asked.

No need to apologize regard terminology.

But you do need to be sure what circuit it is being spurred from and the fuse rating of that circuit.
I would, put in a 13A fused spur where the current socket-outlet is, then extend from there, put new socket in new location, then down fuse again with another fused connection unit for lighting circuit. using 5 or 3 amp fuse depending on the demand/output of the lights?
Do you know your core sizes of the conductors for the circuit and extension from it?
ie 2.5 twin and earth?
and what would this socket be used for?
Does the circuit have RCD protection?

I've been advised to get a 13A fused spur connection box.

However, I'm still faced with a bit of a dilemma – how do I connect all the other supplies. Most of the boxes I have seen are 2 gang which means there's one gang for the spur supply plus another gang for the extra socket but how do I connect the lighting. At present the inside lights are wired into the socket and the outside lights are powered by a 3-pin plug in the socket. Please advise. Thanks.

Regarding your reply:

Q: But you do need to be sure what circuit it is being spurred from and the fuse rating of that circuit.

A: The spur comes off the ring main and is protected by an RCD.

Q: I would, put in a 13A fused spur where the current socket-outlet is, then extend from there, put new socket in new location, then down fuse again with another fused connection unit for lighting circuit. using 5 or 3 amp fuse depending on the demand/output of the lights?

A: The lighting switch and supply for the outside lights (plug) is located next to the spur socket. I would have to extend the wiring to the new socket to fuse down again. Is there a simpler way of connecting everything from the current location?

Q: Do you know your core sizes of the conductors for the circuit and extension from it?
ie 2.5 twin and earth?

A: It's 2.5mm twin and earth

Q: and what would this socket be used for?

A: The socket will be used for a tumble dryer.

Q: Does the circuit have RCD protection?

A: The main circuit has RCD protection in the house. There's an on/off switch for the main supply but there's also individual switches for other supplies, i.e. cooker, plugs, etc – if that helps.

Thanks.

How far away is the new socket going from the old, you could return the cable back from the new socket using same route as you did to extend circuit to new socket outlet, then put a FCU for your lights next to the other FCU for the new socket then the lighting cables will be close by for easy connection.

Do I use a different type of FCU for the lights? Thanks.
Same type of FCU but lower rated fuse so not 13amp but may be 3 or 5 depending on output values of your lighing circuit.
Anything less than 690 watts in total 3amps will do,
690-1150 watts 5 amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back