United Kingdom
Hello,

I understand the supply cable to an outside building is connected

at the RCD side of the cu. However as my freezer is in the garage

nuisance tripping may occur.

Would it be possible to avoid this by running t&e from the non rcd side

of the cu to a connection box. SWA connected from the connection box

running to the outbuilding. Terminate the SWA to a connection box

inside the garage. Run a short pvc/t&e to a service connector block.

Install a cu with RCD protection for the lighting circuit and for the

sockets which will be used to supply portable equipment/outdoors.

finally run a seperate cable from the service block located inside the

garage to supply the freezer,connected by a round pin plug/socket or

an fcu. Will this seperate freezer circuit require an isolator inside the

garage?

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to avoid this by running t&e from the non rcd side
of the cu to a connection box. SWA connected from the connection box
running to the outbuilding.

Yes, make sure the T+E is not exposed to the weather though, bring it straight through the wall and straight into the back of the box

Terminate the SWA to a connection box

inside the garage. Run a short pvc/t&e to a service connector block.

Install a cu with RCD protection for the lighting circuit and for the

sockets which will be used to supply portable equipment/outdoors.

garage to supply the freezer
Why mess around with all that, why not just install a split load CU, and depending on the earthing arrangements, possibly a metal clad one that you can terminate the SWA directly into

connected by a round pin plug/socket or
an fcu. Will this seperate freezer circuit require an isolator inside the
garage?
Recommend FCU, and the MCB on the split load board will be suffient

p.s. Have you heard of part p?

craig1 said:
Hello, I understand the supply cable to an outside building is connected at the RCD side of the cu.
Not necessarily.
However as my freezer is in the garage nuisance tripping may occur.
It is not good practice to put freezers in garages.
Would it be possible to avoid this by running t&e from the non rcd side of the cu to a connection box.

SWA connected from the connection box running to the outbuilding.

Terminate the SWA to a connection box inside the garage.

Run a short pvc/t&e to a service connector block.

Install a cu with RCD protection for the lighting circuit and for the sockets which will be used to supply portable equipment/outdoors.

garage to supply the freezer,connected by a round pin plug/socket or an fcu.

Will this seperate freezer circuit require an isolator inside the garage?
All socket outlets that could reasonably be expected to supply equipment for use outdoors must be protected by a 30mA RCD. Unless you can rig up a situation where you can only use the freezer outlet with the freezer (ie non-standard plug & socket), it should be RCD ptotected.

But, as I said previously, a feezer should not be in such a location to start with. And if it is tripping, there must be a problem with it.

EDIT: Whoops! I missed the bit about the round-pin P&S....

BTW, have you checked with the mfr that the freezer will be OK in a garage?

I'm not quite sure where this freezer might not work properly in garage thing came from, I've not actually seen any problems with them, and we have had a freezer in the garage at both the houses I have lived in, and I know of other people as well who have them in the garage, I haven't once heard of a problem with doing so

(maybe I should write to myth busters :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
I thought the garage was a good place for a freezer and apart from a bit of dust ours seems happy enough

The ambient temp is also lower than the house so it doesn't have to work so hard which saves a few bob as well.

I have known it to play havoc with fridge freezers which only have one compressor which is run off the fridge thermostat, the problem being when it is too cold for the fridge thermostat to kick in the freezer can defrost.
I think there was also a post possibly by ban about the coolant being affected by temp.
Also a bit on in here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29820

Spark123 said:
about the coolant being affected by temp.

I wouldn't think refrigerant would be affected by external temperature. Shops have outside compressors for their fridges, and these aint affected. Also, the liquid runs at very high pressure and temperature one way, one fridge engineer told me how one of his colleagues had his eye taken out by such liquid in an accident. Wouldn't think the difference between 20'C and 2'C would make much difference to overall performance, given the massive change in temperature and pressure in a fridge circuit.

I suppose when you think about it is some cases there could be a problem. Commercial refrigeration systems that have outside condensers have crank case heaters to prevent the gas turning to liquid in the compressor when it's not running. As far as I know domestic freezers don't have crank case heaters as there normally inside in the warm.

My garage never gets that cold but I can imagine some might

My local pub landlord has an ice making machine (not quite the same but very similar) in an outside store room, which last winter would not make ice if it was too cold outside, but a simple adjustment of the stat cured this. I have two freezers in my garage (an upright and a chest freezer) which have run for years with no problem and it drops below freezing in the garage in winter. We did have an old freezer in the garage years ago which caught fire quite badly, but this was caused by an overheating motor. The damage to the garage was alot easier to sort than if it had been in the house.

Rob

I was primarily thinking of a detached garage with no form of heating, or heat from the adjacent house making its ambient temp higher.

Pensdown said:
I thought the garage was a good place for a freezer and apart from a bit of dust ours seems happy enough

The ambient temp is also lower than the house so it doesn't have to work so hard which saves a few bob as well.

Thats actually not true, if the ambient air temp is too low a domestic fridgr or freezer wont work.

try reading the instuctions if you don't believe me

It can get b****y cold in Yorkshire through winter but maybe not that cold... Moscow it is then :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back