Garage supply

I really don't see the point in messing around with extra boxes to get SWA and conduit to a plastic CU when you could just use a metal-clad CU which will take the SWA gland and conduit adapters directly. The result will be much neater, and result in a more rugged CU into the bargain, given the flimsy nature of all the modern plastic units.
Sponsored Links
it's not a new install, there is an existing CU in the house..
so you advocate spending another £150 on a metal clad CU for the house then, or a 99p adaptable box?

yes at the garage end a metal CU is an option, but the "garage CU"'s are cheap enough and will take the gland direct.. plus it's IP rated for the damp conditions one might find in a garage
I was thinking of the garage end, with the talk about running everyting in conduit and then using more adaptable boxes to terminate the conduit with T&E into the panel.

As for the IP rating, the inside of the garage shouldn't be damp. Or at least if it's damp enough to warrant a suitably damp-rated CU, then it's going to need similarly rated accessories throughout.
'garage' consumer units tend to have 20mm knockouts wether they are plastic or metal, as for in the house, if he had a surface mounted contactum board or similar then you just cant gland to it.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local