Can I use TOUCH N BOND to put up rails etc in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Ideal World TV shopping channel is featuring some plasticine-like stuff called Touch N Bond, they say it's a miracle product, works under water, you can mold it before it dries and it can take heavy weights. Here's the description:

2 x Touch N Bond Solid sticks (2.1 oz / 60gm each)
1 x Touch N Bond Cradle
Cut-N-Store Cradle: This device was designed to dispense Portions (approx 8 per stick) of TNB Solid. It also neatly stores the un-used TNB Solid for future use.
Repair: Loose dowels and furniture legs; wall and floor tile; ceramic and porcelain items; jewellery; re-level rocky tables and chairs; cracked moulding; shoes and boots; loose cabinet drawers and old furniture; leaky pipes and sink traps; re-attach metal strips and loose items on cars/boats/bikes; rear view mirrors.

Install: Curtain rods; towel racks; shelves; pictures; mirrors; ceramic and metal tiles; shades; blinds; racks and more onto garage walls; decorative items onto outside brick or wood wall; hanger rods in closets shower rods.

It costs £18 delivered, which I think is a lot, and Ideal World's presenters tend to be OTT with their promises. I wonder if you think I could use it successfully for towel rails, cabinets, etc on 'trade white' tiles?

It's most unlikely that I could handle a drill and I've banned the contractors from completing my bathroom because they're such bodgers :cry:

clemenzina

Sponsored Links
never heard of it - but it sounds a bit like "prattley putty" or "milliput". Both these products consist of two sticks that you cut into pieces and mould together by hand . the stuff sets like steel , you can file it . drill it , tap it etc etc AND it sets underwater
Been out for years and costs less that a fiver a time (i think).
its not difficult to use a drill , try to fix to the grout line which saves drilling a tile , if thats not possible use a bit of tape which stops the drill slipping . I would say to use "irwin cordless bits" which will save you having to use hammer action.
- do it yourself and be proud :LOL: :LOL:

£18 is a lot. How much manual handling can you do; and, can you stand unsupported (not being rude) or perch, as a light, cordless drill would be the most attractive option.

The thing that worries me about an epoxy putty is that if it goes wrong, you won't ever be able to get it off.

I suppose these people were on the council's approved list, is there someone you can complain to?

I see an epoxy putty (I suppose that's what it is) is here for £3 from this supplier; it might cost you double in the high street; but, £18? I sell spare bubbles for spirit levels for less than that. http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=EK54U23GDKAAQCSTHZOCFFQ?id=11363&ts=52699

http://www.touchnbond.com/
Looks like it's just for bonding fabrics. Although their site isn't up and running properly, nowhere do it say that it's used for anything apart from fabrics. I wouldn't trust what the shopping channel says. Don't buy it for the jobs you mentioned.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
How much manual handling can you do; and, can you stand unsupported (not being rude) or perch, as a light, cordless drill would be the most attractive option.
I'm sure you're not being rude, you're sensibly assessing my (in)capabilities! ;) I've got a corded drill but it's a bit heavy. I'm somewhat frail and that results in a lack of control, I find.
The thing that worries me about an epoxy putty is that if it goes wrong, you won't ever be able to get it off.
Me too! I meant to ask about that. They do say 'permanent'.

They're not on the approved list any more! The council (who are supervising because they've given me a grant+loan) are busy making deductions from the bill, and they're sending out new tender requests for the windows.

Re the fabric one, that's another one that was featured on the same prog, same price. Thanks for the link :)

clemenzina

If you get some better tradesmen to do the finishing off, and ply them well with tea and biscuits, I'd be surprised if one of them, if asked, wouldn't drill a few holes for towel rails and the like.

Prepare yourself by measuring carefully, and perhaps dot-marking with a wash-off fibretip pen like you find in the kids section.

If you really can't get anyone to lend a hand, have a feel of some cordless drills. A fairly modest DIY one might be 6volt or so, and quite light, and up to this job (professional ones are great huge things with enormous batteries, as they may have to drill hundreds of holes during a day's work. A cheap DIY one may go flat after a dozen, but that would be enough for you. No need to buy tools yet if there's a reasonable chance someone will do it for you.

Regarding touch and bond and Ideal Shopping. Apart from it being too expensive (as I now know), the company themselves are a complete waste of time and money so don't bother ordering from them.

I ordered on the 19th January, they told me there was a problem with their system so I had to reorder on the 23rd. Despite emails (which they ignore) and calls I am still waiting. Each time I actually manage to get through to customer services they change the delivery date.

Nowhere did it say they take nearly a month to get you your stuff, not much good if you are in the middle of a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and they wont give me a refund either so I'm having to go through my bank.

Regarding ...... Ideal Shopping .....
I ordered on the 19th January, they told me there was a problem with their system so I had to reorder on the 23rd. Despite emails (which they ignore) and calls I am still waiting. Each time I actually manage to get through to customer services they change the delivery date.
Not this product, but they debited my bank account on 7 January and eventually posted on 23rd (at least, that's what their website said) and I received the product about 10 days later :(

I don't think they're actually dishonest, but they've never had a good reputation for customer service.

Further to my original post... I've bought a cordless drill from Argos and a young lad (utterly gorgeous, just like Leonardo diCaprio :oops: ) came round to do some jobs but never got around to the rails. Maybe later in the year during his summer holidays :rolleyes:

clemenzina

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back