Bathroom Supplementary Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know...there are probably more topics on this subject than any other. :(

And I even went out today and bought the excellent NICEIC "Snags and Solutions" book on "Part 1 : Earthing and Bonding" (below). A very good & useful book IMHO. :)

But I'm still a little confused; and if I ask 4 electricians the same question, I get 4 different answers.

1) Having recently completed the plumbing for a new bathroom, I know that the cold water feed for the shower, sink and toilet cistern are all supplied by a single 15mm pipe (copper with soldered fittings) into the bathroom...so is it safe to have a single earthing clamp serving these three items? I was planning to add the clamp behind the pedestal for the sink and then link it across to the hot etc. Or do I also have to add clamps to the pipe to the cistern and another for the shower?

2) The hot and cold for the shower is fed from above. The pipes are hidden in a wooden partition wall; the shower side employs plastic panels rather than ceramic tiles. I want to avoid ripping the shower to pieces to add the bonding. The roof of the bathroom has a small access hatch to gain access to the 15mm supply pipework etc and I'd like to add the bonding for hot and cold here --- it is about 70cm above the actual shower. OK to do the bonding here? This access hatch seems to comply with the regs around inspection etc of bonding?

3) I have a very large 1960's cast iron bath; no provision for bonding clamp anywhere....so planning to add (drill and bolt) it to one of the cast iron feet. I assume this is OK?

4) Having bonded all exposed metal parts, I'm not sure where the bonding cable connects to the regular CPC? The various diagrams show a connection to a shaver socket, an overhead light etc. Is it acceptable to take the yellow/green bonding to the nearest CPC --- wherever that may be?

Not a question but a pleasant surprise since I've just bought two; Snag 20 concerns electric towel rails; I was convinced that the rail itself would require bonding but apparently not. The CPC in the flex is sufficient.

Many Thanks

Paul

BKSNA2.JPG

Sponsored Links
as far as i know know supplemetary bonding is being revised shortly in the new regs 17th .. :)

but yes supplimetart can be taken from a shaving socket /light etc .. 4mm unprotected or 1.5 mechanically protected .
all clamps must be visible ,
leg of bath is fine ..
clamp to rad also .. but as u say u have a towel rail with earthing already so np ..
but as i say it is being removed . but i am sure there will be a revision somewere for it ..

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...tumn_wiring_matters_section_601_revisited.pdf

sorry of course ur right lol.. were would be without our onsite guide lol.

Sponsored Links
2face said:
as far as i know know supplemetary bonding is being revised shortly in the new regs 17th .. :)

but yes supplimetart can be taken from a shaving socket /light etc .. 4mm unprotected or 1.5 mechanically protected .
all clamps must be visible ,
leg of bath is fine ..
clamp to rad also .. but as u say u have a towel rail with earthing already so np ..
but as i say it is being removed . but i am sure there will be a revision somewere for it ..

You are correct that in the 17th edition DPC that supplemantary bonding will no longer be required, but on the provision that every circuit which enters the bathroom is RCD protected. You will not be allowed to just not bother bonding any more.

Although don't forget the 17th edition is still only a draft, and nothing written there is forced to actually be included in the published version.

effectively every pipe (hot, cold, heating etc) and the cpc (earthwire) of every circuit within the zones needs to be joined together ,in or close to, the bathroom.

There is a formula for calculating the size and the last bit of it ius in any event a minimum of 4.0 if not mechaically protected and 2.5 if mechanically protected.

In almost all installations this usualy works out to 4.0

In the (short hopefully) bit of flex from an electrically heated towel rail the cpc (earthwire) is allowed to double up as a bonding conductor in that the bond is alowed at the E terminal on the outlet plate rather than running a bond to the hole in the lug on the towel rail itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back