Bathroom supplementary bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom with the following equipment:

Shower (zone 1) with a pull cord switch (zone 3)
Class II extractor Fan (zone 2) with a pull cord switch (zone 3)
Pendant lamp and a pull cord switch (both outside of the zones)
Shaver unit (zone 3)

The bath, sink and radiator pipes are copper and the waste pipes are plastic.

The shower water supply is in a stud wall, does that need to be bonded?

Can I bond to the CPC of the shower switch and extractor fan switch instead of the actual shower and fan?

As the fan is double insulated and there is no CPC in it, how should it be bonded?

Do I need to bond the hot and cold sink pipes together as well as the hot and cold bath pipes together, even though they are only a few metres apart and are all joined together by copper pipes and soldered joints?

Do I need to bond both radiator pipes?

Can I ignore the light and switch as they are outside of the zones?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

yes

Can I bond to the CPC of the shower switch and extractor fan switch instead of the actual shower and fan?

dont think it makes much difference

As the fan is double insulated and there is no CPC in it, how should it be bonded?

no

Do I need to bond the hot and cold sink pipes together as well as the hot and cold bath pipes together, even though they are only a few metres apart and are all joined together by copper pipes and soldered joints?

yes

yes

no

Thanks for the response, just a few more questions.

yes

Why is this when the pipe can't be touched, and how could I connect a bonding clamp to it which would be accesible?

no

What about its switch in Zone 3?

yes

And

yes

Why is this? I thought metal pipes could be used as bonding conductors if joints are metal to metal and electrically continuous.

no

I thought it was only necessary to supplementary bond the protective conductors of lighting and power points within the zones, am I wrong?

Griggsy said:
Thanks for the response, just a few more questions.

yes

Why is this when the pipe can't be touched, and how could I connect a bonding clamp to it which would be accesible?

because it could still become live

no

What about its switch in Zone 3?

the switch should be earthed but the fan should not. you should not earth a class 2 applience

yes

And

yes

Why is this? I thought metal pipes could be used as bonding conductors if joints are metal to metal and electrically continuous.

joints from pipe to radiator use a non-conductive material tot eh seal, therefore creating a resistance between the pipe to thru the radiator. you shoud also have an earth link between a pipe and the radiator

no

everything metal should be earthed. just because it aint in the zones doesnt mean it cannot become live and without the earth there will be a potential difference so if you touch it you get a shock

I thought it was only necessary to supplementary bond the protective conductors of lighting and power points within the zones, am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
If you can't bond the shower pipe without causing damage, then don't!

bond every accessible pipe in the bathroom, then bond into all the electrical earth terminals in electrical switches/shower/shaver socket etc.

:rolleyes: You guys have got me worried ...

I have a fairly new en-suite off the bedroom with electric shower, class 2 fan, wc, basin and taps, and central heating rad. All the pipes (inc shower feed in stud wall) are plastic. How can these be bonded? What about rad? (plastic pipes as well). There are 2 short copper lengths behind basin (3" max each) to each tap then plastic again.

Whole house is plastic apart from boiler house outside, where mains water comes in to combi (oil) system. Here there are short runs of copper which are bonded.

Am I in trouble or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Thanks

Metalwork fed by plastic pipes does not need to be bonded.

L.Spark said:
If you can't bond the shower pipe without causing damage, then don't!

bond every accessible pipe in the bathroom, then bond into all the electrical earth terminals in electrical switches/shower/shaver socket etc.

I am completely rebuilding the bathroom, including new electrics, plumbing and walls. So I can bond the shower pipe, but how do you define accesible?

Can the bonding clamp be under floorboards, beneath a bathtub or must it be visible?

yes

because it could still become live

Ok, can I just use the bath cold water pipe located under the bath, which feeds the shower via a couple of soldered joints?

yes

And

yes

joints from pipe to radiator use a non-conductive material tot eh seal, therefore creating a resistance between the pipe to thru the radiator. you shoud also have an earth link between a pipe and the radiator.

So is it ok to only bond one radiator pipe if I use metal only compression fittings without PTFE tape?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back