supplementary bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks, i want to replace a light fitting in my bathroom, i have a rewireable fuse consumer unit, the shower is the only thing put through an rcd. i have a cpc at the light point but i don't think the light point is supplementary bonded to anything.
do i require to install a bond to pipes etc from the light?

Sponsored Links
Can you see any supplementary equipotential bonding cables anywhere in or in close proximity to the bathroom?

The requirement is to bond all extraneous conductive parts together and to the cpcs of circuits supplying Class I and II equipment in Zones 1 & 2, so there wouldn't necessarily be a bonding conductor actually at the light - it might be connected to the lighting circuit cpc somewhere else.

cheers for your quick reply

in answer to your question - no, i cant see any bonds of any sort near by. it is an old installation. therefore do you think that this regulation might not apply to this installation. seen as i am only replacing the fitting and not adding to the circuit in any way?

Sponsored Links
The IEE regs are non-retrospective i.e. as long as it complied when it is installed and you are not adding to it then there is nothing to force you to make changes.
However, in the interest of safety it is worth while considering upgrading the electrics to todays standards which mean you may be able to omit the supplementary bonding if all circuits in the location are RCD protected and certain other criteria met - see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:supbond17th

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back